Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

What do you think about reckless riding threads?

• Let them post all they want

Votes: 34 82.9%
  • zero tolerance - threads portraying or advocating reckless and/or illegal riding should be deleted A

Votes: 7 17.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There have been a significant number of complaints about reckless riding threads, you know, the ones where someone puts a GoPro on their bike and tries to impress everyone with how skilled and/or stupid they are.

There are two ways to look at this. Obviously, there is interest in this type of behavior, or shows like Jackass and networks like Spike wouldn't exist. More seasoned riders will either skip over it or shake their heads - I look at it occasionally, in the belief that anyone can be a role model, just not necessarily a good one.

On one hand, there are sites dedicated to this purpose (check out ridetodie.com if you really want the gory details). Some members have argued there should be zero tolerance for it on CBR250.net.

On the other hand, despite what some people think, the mods on here are generally against censorship. We get complaints because someone used a three-letter word pertaining to a posterior, and we get complaints because people can't say someone had sex with their mother. No one thinks the iPhone ads gets deleted quick enough, even though a bunch were deleted within hours this past weekend.

It's impossible to please everyone, but the mods would like some opinions. If the majority wants a change in the way these threads are handed, I'll pass the decision upstairs to the Site Masters....

So: What's your opinion of reckless riding threads?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Nah, don't be a spoilsport; don't delete them. Only a power crazy moderator would wanna do that.

Let them crow. Armour clad in brightly hued cyber ID they are quite safe, and will never be outed as squid from the City of Drunkards.

Actually, I think we should have a tournament, with the main event being......

Handbags on the information superhighway, pinned at 150 clicks.

Sponsored by Marine Farms Unlimited: the stake - a dozen tender juicy young mussels.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I hear you loud and clear Luke. When I first saw the threads I was thinking this definitely shouldn't be on here for all the new riders to see and emulate. But, I don't think censorship is the answer. Many have chimed in with appropriate comments about the dangers of riding in this manner. Riders will have to choose for themselves. I share your concerns but as Street Sniper says, "he loves haters". I think most posters of this ilk will find cbr250.net a pretty boring place to post these vids. Street Sniper seems like a good guy and I hope he takes driving safety a little more serious for his and other's sake but, it just seems wrong to start editing out that kind of stuff. If you no likey, just ignore and don't comment. Just my humble .02.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Needs more blood & guts.

Compound Femurs sticking out and Helmets rolling down the road.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Aufitt is exactly right.
Survival of the fittest, no more nannies. Once these fools kill them selves off the real mental giants of cycling will surface, and we can all sit back with a cigar and have a good read. If they get real good, you may be paying to watch them some day. You cant teach common sense, so throw the new riders out there, this is the real world, some people are like this. If a daredevil wheelies past you on the freeway, what should you do? Go home, get in bed with a pack(you get to decide 'hot or cold') on your head?
Delete the phone spammers. BTW some of the site sponsors come real close being spammers themselves. (bump)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I like the posts, it helps me to know who to avoid.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My wife and I are both new riders and new members to this forum. Being new riders we took the necessary steps to prepare ourselves by taking the MSF course (both passed). I can only hope that other new riders are responsible enough to do the same.

With that being said, people are people and they will do whatever they want even if you decide to censor it. I think a forum is a place where you can speak and express yourself freely...so let them post away. It would be a different story if this forum was advocating reckless riding, but I have found this forum to be nothing but informative and helpful with great members so far. However, as Moderators you should exercise your right to lock any posts that you feel are getting out of hand.

Thanks.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I hear you loud and clear Luke. When I first saw the threads I was thinking this definitely shouldn't be on here for all the new riders to see and emulate. But, I don't think censorship is the answer. Many have chimed in with appropriate comments about the dangers of riding in this manner. Riders will have to choose for themselves. I share your concerns but as Street Sniper says, "he loves haters". I think most posters of this ilk will find cbr250.net a pretty boring place to post these vids. Street Sniper seems like a good guy and I hope he takes driving safety a little more serious for his and other's sake but, it just seems wrong to start editing out that kind of stuff. If you no likey, just ignore and don't comment. Just my humble .02.
+1. Thanks CBR-STL. You just saved me from posting on this issue! :) As long as such postings are relegated to one or two threads - I can live with it. I just don't want to see them appear with the frequency of the iphone spam that sometimes rears its ugly head.....

Mike

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not fond of censorship but I do feel the riding community here needs to make an effort to condemn this type of behavior. Reckless riding threads poorly represent us as riders to those much less informed of motorcycle riding.
When you ride you are an ambassador of all Motorcyclist to the non riding public. Again I will say I'm not for censorship but perhaps efforts should be made to show as a group its not looked well upon

·
Registered
177 Posts
Luke, thank you for bringing this to the members. Most forum mods simply decide it's "my way or the highway" and participants never get a say...

Irregardless of what I think about those threads, I feel they are just as welcome in the forum as the "dead horse" debate about ABS vs non-ABS. At least the videos I've seen here the rider is on a CBR250R.

And for what it's worth you and the other mods are doing a fine job cleaning up spam posts about iPhones etc. I've certainly reported my share using the built in tool. And while I have your attention...any chance you guys can load the Tapatalk module onto the forum to make reading/posting easier from mobile devices? :)

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Reckless riders should be encouraged to post whatever they like. As long as I retain my right to call them morons. :)

Besides, it's possible, just possible, that they might learn something constructive about their riding habits.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It has been my experience that when ego overwhelms intelligence, reversing that situation often requires permanent injuries.

regards
Badger

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'm not fond of censorship but I do feel the riding community here needs to make an effort to condemn this type of behavior. Reckless riding threads poorly represent us as riders to those much less informed of motorcycle riding.
When you ride you are an ambassador of all Motorcyclist to the non riding public. Again I will say I'm not for censorship but perhaps efforts should be made to show as a group its not looked well upon
Vary well said and I totaly agree

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
"Should us your videos or videos you have found of the CBR250"

hypocrite-
A self-absorbed, arrogant prick who constantly pisses and moans about other people doing something wrong, yet engages in such behavior anyway. Probably someone who has a really ugly girlfriend named Pinky.

look at the other videos of cbr250's before you reply to this post !

in my country we call you guys "haters"

dont worry fellow 250 riders , i only got one more video to post here, is for my friend Badger

badger milk , badger milk !!

·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
in my country we call you guys "racist haters"
You actually would fit in quite well in America, where some people create careers based on seeing racism everywhere they look, regardless of whether it actually exists or not...

A primer:

• What America did to Americans of African descent in the past was racism.
  • What Australia did to the Aboriginal Tribes in the past was racism.
  • What Serbia did to the Bosnians was racism
A dislike of stupidity, even a loathing of it, is not racism.

Luke

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
in my country we call you guys " haters"/QUOTE]

You actually would fit in quite well in America, where some people create careers based on seeing racism everywhere they look, regardless of whether it actually exists or not...

A primer:

• What America did to Americans of African descent in the past was racism.
  • What Australia did to the Aboriginal Tribes in the past was racism.
  • What Serbia did to the Bosnians was racism
A dislike of stupidity, even a loathing of it, is not racism.

Luke
that was slavery ... to hate some based on how the look, now that racist. but you are from NC where no one is racist ... right ?
america was built on top of haters.
my heart pump motor oil not kool-aid !

ps i am from the UNITED states of America.

·
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
***sigh *** From Merriam-Webster

Racism: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Please explain how a dislike of one's riding style could be racism without seriously offending those who have been on the receiving end of real racism.

And I don't think you'll find, on any forum that I have ever visited, a claim by me that NC is free of racism - I'll also wager that the area that you appear to be ashamed of admitting you are from is not free of racism either. And I do take offense to you implying that slavery was not racist.

Racism exists everywhere - it is not limited by geography or the race of the perpetrator. That doesn't mean you have to participate.

I have not looked at your videos, so I don't know (or care) what box you check on forms, or even if that information exists. From the comments others have made, I assume the videos depict reckless and/or illegal riding. Therefore, I may be guilty of stereotyping - but not racism

Luke

·
Registered
619 Posts
>What's your opinion of reckless riding threads?
Whoever has been yanking your chain, got you to do exactly what they wanted. You got played.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
***sigh *** From Merriam-Webster

Racism: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Please explain how a dislike of one's riding style could be racism without seriously offending those who have been on the receiving end of real racism.

And I don't think you'll find, on any forum that I have ever visited, a claim by me that NC is free of racism - I'll also wager that the area that you appear to be ashamed of admitting you are from is not free of racism either. And I do take offense to you implying that slavery was not racist.

Racism exists everywhere - it is not limited by geography or the race of the perpetrator. That doesn't mean you have to participate.

I have not looked at your videos, so I don't know (or care) what box you check on forms, or even if that information exists. From the comments others have made, I assume the videos depict reckless and/or illegal riding. Therefore, I may be guilty of stereotyping - but not racism

Luke
i was not saying YOU are racist, but i see vids of other 250r's doing well over 90 and is "cool" but some one sees my video and insults me , that makes them a racist hater. (not you personally).
now, you have not even looked at my videos !??
but you read the comments ?
then post this thread ?
some one is right...you did get played :confused:

P.S. im from Miami , Florida

respect luke, i appreciate your feedback & dont let others get in your head

1 - 20 of 50 Posts