Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had the unfortunate experience of going down on my bike about a month ago. It was a high'sh speed lowside on a ramp, the bike and I slid for a short bit on asphalt and then went onto grass. Ironically, the grass did the most damage, because the lip of the rim of the front wheel got snagged, dug into the ground, and the resulting force folded that part of the rim inward with enough force to tear the metal.

Needless to say, I had to get a replacement rim, but what I've been trying to determine is if I've bent the forks as well. There are no kinks in the tubes or any obvious visual irregularities, however I'm skeptical about the alignment of the wheel after reinstalling it with the new rim, and I'm not sure if it's due to the forks bent, or if I'm just being a bit paranoid and that's the way it should be. I've taken some pictures to show how it is and where my concern lies.

Essentially, when I've reinstalled the wheel, the spacer on the right side of the wheel is right up against the right fork, however on the left side of the wheel there's about a 5mm gap between the wheel spacer and the left fork. This appears to be caused by the axle, which on the left most end has a thicker diameter to act as a stopper against the wheel spacer, and when the axle is fully inserted it pushes the wheel so that the right side wheel spacer is up against the right fork and pushes the left spacer away from the left fork.

To me, when installed this way, makes the wheel look like it's slightly off center. I had tried to tighten down the pinch bolt REALLY hard with the axle pushed in just enough to have the left spacer against the fork, and then tighten the axle nut to pull the right fork in to be up against the rightmost spacer, which had the wheel look more centered to me, but the amount of tightening I had to do was WAY over spec, and on the road it didn't feel right (a little wobbly/floaty, especially at low speeds), so I took it into a shop (had to get new tires anyway) and they reinstalled the wheel in the same way as I originally had it, and they said that is how it should be. I've been riding it like this, and it DOES feel better, but I'm thinking that has more to do with the new tires rather than the alignment, because there are times that still feels a bit wobbly at low speeds (but that could also be psychosomatic).

So, TL;DR, can anyone confirm if they also have a 5mm gap between their left wheel spacer and the fork?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I do not have a CBR250R, so I acnnot provide the measurement.

However, if the brake rotor does not get rubbed when the front wheel is turned (paddock stand really helps with this) and the bike behaves properly at speed (no wobble or other vibration), you should be OK.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Don't you think it would be better to get that thing checked out by a professional mechanic just to be safe? I mean if something is wrong with your front end that might cause you some serious safety issues down the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not have a CBR250R, so I acnnot provide the measurement.

However, if the brake rotor does not get rubbed when the front wheel is turned (paddock stand really helps with this) and the bike behaves properly at speed (no wobble or other vibration), you should be OK.
Thanks, yeah, it's definitely good at speed, and relatively minor at low speeds, if an issue at all (again, not sure if it's all in my head and I'm just being paranoid post-crash).

Don't you think it would be better to get that thing checked out by a professional mechanic just to be safe? I mean if something is wrong with your front end that might cause you some serious safety issues down the road.
Well, yeah. It's buried in there in that wall-of-text somewhere that I mentioned I took it to a bike shop, and they said the gap is how it should be, but I can't help but be skeptical that maybe they don't work on CBR250's all that often, so maybe they don't know the specifics of it (and I've checked a bunch of other bikes and none of them look exactly the same with how the wheel/axle goes, obviously.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Its all good, mines the same as yours. Whats more important is that the gap between the edge of the rim and the inside of the fork is the same on both sides roughly.

Reactions: DJ-RK

·
Registered
228 Posts
Correct procedure for aligning front wheel and pic of unmolested spacer position.

Attachments

Reactions: DJ-RK

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its all good, mines the same as yours. Whats more important is that the gap between the edge of the rim and the inside of the fork is the same on both sides roughly.
Correct procedure for aligning front wheel and pic of unmolested spacer position.
Thanks to both of you for confirming. I can now ride with peace of mind! :laugh:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts