Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something for the Wheelie Riders to think about.

When the front wheel is lifted above 30 degrees, using the rear axle as the pivoit point.

All of the oil supply in the engine sump is drained to the transmission section.

This results in no oil volume or pressure supplied to the engine.

Most Riders knows the end result of no oil pressure.

·
Registered
706 Posts
If thats the case my CRF's would have been blown to bits and pieces years ago.
I feel like bike oil systems were made to not have this problem. Think about it, on the bigger bikes they can easily accelerate with the force of 1g or more so that would have the same effect on the oil as a wheelie would.

·
Registered
455 Posts
who cares. ride it until it blows.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Remember there is a BIG difference between wet sumps and dry sumps -- I don't know much about bike mechanics (yet), but I would assume the bigger bikes (that are modeled after race bikes) would use a dry sump which should provide oil no matter the bike's orientation.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I was always under the assumption that the side effects of wheelies consisted of cracked fairings, broken mirrors, broken turn signals and expensive tickets. ;)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Does the oil pressure warning light come on during a wheelie? I never did a vertical wheelie so I have no idea.
Doesn't have one.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I was always under the assumption that the side effects of wheelies consisted of cracked fairings, broken mirrors, broken turn signals and expensive tickets. ;)
As well as a broken ego and damaged pride. :eek:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Low Oil Pressure Indicator.

Something you might want to add to your cbr. A Low Oil Pressure Indicator Lamp.

To Keep your cbr on the road. A list of Parts.

Oil Filter Cover - Checked Honda Parts online. Less than $5.00.
Oil Pressure Switch - 3 to 5 psi. $4.00 to $7.00.
Indicator Lamp - Radio Shack. Package of 2 for $2.69.

After you know the Thread size of the oil pressure switch, smallest is 1/8 NPT (National Pipe Threads). You can drill and tap the oil filter cover anywhere in the red color on the above photo.

The power for this circuit will tap into the right position indicator lamp. White/Green wire color. The indicator lamp will only draw about 5 watts, no need to run a seperate battery feed circuit.

This will allow you to install every component without disabling your cbr. With every thing in place, you can then install the oil filter cover.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts