Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how long everyone rides the starter bike before upgrading to bigger bikes. 600 and 1k.

im already feeling the itch for a 600..... but only been on the bike like 6 weeks so far. 2300 miles and counting.....planning on waiting til winter to find my upgrade bike.

love my 250, just getting tired of getting run over by DFW traffic on freeways.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Serious Answer: For a lot of new riders... not long enough.

Sarcastic Answer: Two or three weeks is more than enough saddle time on the CBR250R, that CBR1000RR is at the dealership just waiting for a new home.

IMO, Urban freeways are a nightmare, no matter what bike your on. Cagers are out to get you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm not an expert on upgrading my 250 is my first bike. I think you should ride the 250 until you have learned all you can from it and upgrade when you feel ready. I do not think anyone else can tell you when it is the right time for you. Some day I will upgrade, but do not feel the need to do so yet..

hahah sorry for the long winded response

·
Registered
540 Posts
Depends entirely on the rider.

If you started on the 250 by your own choice, without being pressured into it when you really wanted the 600 or whatever, then you're probably mature enough to know when the right time for you is. You'll certainly know better than anyone here that doesn't know you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you've never been on a larger bike check and see if you have any manufacture demo days coming up. Great time to test ride and see how you feel on it. Just be careful.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A lot to consider but going from the 250 to a 600 is not really an upgrade as much as it is a different kind of bike for a different purpose.

I would consider an upgrade to be more like a 650 type of bike. That could potentially give a more suitable platform for longer riding like sport touring. There then would be a sacrifice with the day to day and MPG.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd look at a SV650S or 650r. They have about 4-5x as much torque and 3x the HP as the 250R does and gets much better gas mileage (if that's a concern for you) than a 600cc i4.

And the insurance on those are going to be loads cheaper. Which highways anyway? I avoid 360/35 like the plague anywhere near rush hour, even in my van.

·
Registered
414 Posts
it's time to upgrade when the cbr 250 is not the right tool for the job.
OR
you want a faster toy to play with on the weekends

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got the 250 cuz i liked the style of it. being the first bike didnt want to get the 1000rr and be scared to ride it.....wanted to ride and out grow the bike and hopes that when that happens the wife would be ready to the 250 while i setup to something in the 600-650 range.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Asking when to "upgrade" implies that if you went from a 600cc+ bike to the 250, it would be a downgrade. I agree with others here that it's comparing apples to pears. The CBR250R is a cleverly disguised standard bike, not a miniature supersport, and the only way you can "outgrow" it is if you bought it as a substitute for what you really wanted.

You wouldn't "upgrade" from a CBR1000RR to a Goldwing either.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
I don't know if upgrade is the right word. I think change would bethe better choice. Each bike shines in its own setting but will always be a compromise in other areas. If you are looking for commuting with a bit of urban warrior riding, the 250 can't be beat. With a few mods, this bike is capable of giving more than most of us can handle. If you are looking for something more specific, be honest with yourself and make a list of what you need from a bike. I've ridden most styles of bikes out there over the years and to tell you the truth I won't get rid of this bike.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've been up and down the displacement rodeo, 49 cc, 125, 350, 500, 750, 1100, 1300 (currently), 1800 and others. They are all great bikes, even a big block Chevy on a trike.
I've decided that the simplicity of one cylinder, 6 gears, and the simple pleasure of quick response with the CBR 250 is all I need. Getting past a gas station or 6 is just an added benefit. I went to my 08 VTX because I'd dropped my GL1800 twice with my wife on it, with her Multiple Sclerosis, and her equilibrium being compromised, we needed to get onto 3 wheels, trikes were way out of reach, $31,000 to $38,000, for that price I would have been able to buy 2 sidecar rigs, and still have enough for lunch.
Upgrading is really in the head, brought about by reaching for that first "high", you know, the first time you felt the exhilaration of the bike shooting forward, maybe even the first time you ran it up to fifth gear and looked down and saw yourself passing 60 miles an hour. You weren't on a bicycle any more, you had the power to "fly."
I'd been missing that feeling with my VTX, pushing that sidecar won't let you get that feeling that comes from leaning into a tight curve and coming up while cranking the throttle to power through.
Before you upgrade, make sure you've wrung all of the thrills of owning a CBR-250R out first, she'll show you when it's time to go.

Doc

·
Registered
232 Posts
"Upgrade" means getting a better bike for what you need . So if that means you dislike your present bike for what ever reason and you what something that suits your needs better ....even if it means lower CC's !!
I too think going from my 99 650 V-Star to my Honda CBR250r is an UPGRADE !!!! :D

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
i just got home after riding on Deerfoot Trail, affectionatly known as the Deerfoot 500. the posted speed limit is 100 kph but is usually run at 140 kph. i don't think a bigger displacement bike would have made any difference at all. i even managed to hit 157 kph, not needed in the least but fun. the point I'm trying to make is if you feel you need more speed, all the power to you, get a bigger bike. it won't make your ride any easier but it will make it faster, and a cager doesn't discriminate when trying to run you over.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i just got home after riding on Deerfoot Trail, affectionatly known as the Deerfoot 500. the posted speed limit is 100 kph but is usually run at 140 kph. i don't think a bigger displacement bike would have made any difference at all. i even managed to hit 157 kph, not needed in the least but fun. the point I'm trying to make is if you feel you need more speed, all the power to you, get a bigger bike. it won't make your ride any easier but it will make it faster, and a cager doesn't discriminate when trying to run you over.

Yeah I was on that "Deerfoot 500" on Monday with a truck and trailer !! And I felt like I was going to be run over !! I don't know how people drive that everyday.....especially at rush hour ! :eek:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Like the other ppl said, it depends on what you need it for. I've been riding mine for a month this week. Already 1600 miles. I bought it to commute to school and work. All highway. It does great. Easy to pass if I need to. I only get it up to 85 if I need to. I ride with ppl who have 600's and up. It does just fine. Even if I decide to buy a bigger bike one day I will never let this one go. It's cheap and great on gas. I LOVE my 250. :)

1 - 20 of 91 Posts