Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in central VA & like most of the mid-Atlantic the weather can be unpredictable. Forecast had a low chance (30%) of isolated t-storms this PM, so I commuted on my bike. However, the skies started to look threatening & I knew I was in for a wet ride home. As long as there wasn't any lightning, I'd be ok.

When I say it "pours" I mean about 20 minutes into my water-logged journey along rural roads, the sky opened up & dropped torrential rains on me for ~5 miles. There was standing (inches!) water on the roads, water running across the road in a few places, & near zero visibility. I substantially reduced my speed during the worse of it & there were oncoming cars with their 4-way hazzard lights flashing, obviously going very slow. The word deluge comes to mind...

Had these not been roads I know like the back of my hand, I would have had no choice but to pull-off of the road & wait it out. But, the bike was handling BEAUTIFULLY--I honestly couldn't tell that I was driving through water & I cautiously pressed on.

Sure, I was absolutely drenched from head to boot (gotta love my Gaerne waterproof boots because they earned their reputation today!) but I added a new experience to my journey on two-wheels! Not that a machine cares, but I want to give props to my little CBR for once again getting me home safely in unbelievable conditions.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Good on you for braving the storm!! We have a lot of rain where I am and I've always found the bike with it's original tires behaves awesomely. I understand you live in some great riding country?

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Good for you Ang...all apart of the journey hey? This weebee is the "bee knees":D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Way to go!!!! I intended to ride today come rain or shine, but I wimped out.... Candyce + minimal sleep + working an early morning shift = cranky no bike brain. Ha ha ha!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i always carry a cheap neoprene rain suit in my tank bag on longer rides..rain i can handle..a deluge? no; then rain suit comes out n goes on...$15 from ebay..

bad thing about these thin neoprene rain suits..tiniest rip or hole and it wont stop tearing..its done for....on the other hand..they roll up tighter and smaller than a rolled up newspaper..so doesnt take up much bag space...cant have it all i guess :p

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I added a new experience to my journey on two-wheels! Not that a machine cares
Good attitude, I reckon.... its just a pile of plastic and metal, that is nothing without a rider. Good on you for not wimping out in the liquid sunshine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think we got caught in the same storm. Nothing like a good ole Virginia "frog strangler."

I picked up a pair of First Gear Splash rain pants and can report that they work very well. Also fold into a handy little pouch you can keep in your backpack/tailbag. Got em from Honda House on Broad, about $80. Do you have a riding jacket yet? The Joe Rocket Alter Ego 3.0 is an awesome all weather jacket system. Three layers that can all be removed, the outer layer being water proof.

Another little tip; if you have some Pledge furniture polish you can spray that on your visor and it acts like RainX for bikers. Just don't use actual RainX, messes up the plastic, ask me how I know. ;)

Stay safe!

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Good on ya! Riding in the rain isn't too bad if you've got the gear. Just watch for train tracks and manhole covers as they can be slippery. I picked up a Tourmaster epic jacket and it is awesome. It's an all weather jacket and it's even got this cool neoprene hood rolled up in the collar that goes on under your helmet that keeps the rain off your neck. I love riding my bike in any weather with the right gear.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another little tip; if you have some Pledge furniture polish you can spray that on your visor and it acts like RainX for bikers. Just don't use actual RainX, messes up the plastic, ask me how I know. ;)
So, does this work for the Scorpion silver-mirrored visor, too? I've been hesitant about putting anything on that finish, not knowing how it might react. Don't want to be out 50 bucks! :eek: Thanks!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i always carry a cheap neoprene rain suit in my tank bag on longer rides..rain i can handle..a deluge? no; then rain suit comes out n goes on
Ask me what I'm ordering this weekend to add to my arsenal of riding gear... :p Bet you can guess on the first try!

·
Registered
149 Posts
So, does this work for the Scorpion silver-mirrored visor, too? I've been hesitant about putting anything on that finish, not knowing how it might react. Don't want to be out 50 bucks! :eek: Thanks!
Not sure about that one. I've never used anything other then clear. You could try it on a small spot near the quick connects and see how it reacts. Just be sure to use a soft cloth. Scorpion visors scratch super easy.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Congrats on your first rain ride! I've been in a couple now with one of them being fairly heavy rain. I got a rain gear set from a website. It was cheap and works very well but is bulky so I only take it with me when it's either calling for rain or just really looks like rain. These IRC tires do really good in the standing water but be VERY careful on any painted surfaces and any of those little squigly tar strips as they can be like ice when wet!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Rain-X is fine for many shields now. HJC specifically says it's fine on theirs, I checked before applying.

shield care
Rain-X & Other Products: Applying RainX or other water dispersing type chemicals work well on HJC shields (except RST mirrored shields) if applied on new shields and if the chemical companies directions are followed diligently. Always use extremely soft and clean cloths for applications.
Check your own manufacturers instructions.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Years ago a "long in tooth" experienced rider suggested lemon pledge for windscreens and visors. I have since adopted the suggestion and am happy with the results. It gets the bug guts off and no streaking:D. Plus side, I can polish my furniture as well:D

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Rain-X is fine for many shields now. HJC specifically says it's fine on theirs, I checked before applying.

shield care
Check your own manufacturers instructions.
I looked on the back of my rain-x bottle and it says right there on the label do not apply to plastic surfaces?! only thing about it..it doesnt affect your shield any way that you can see..it changes the integrity of the helmet and makes it molecularly weaker..so you wouldnt ever even know it

but thats good to know i can supposedly use it tho since i have a HJC...but my shield is 2 months old now...is it no longer new?.why does it have to be a new visor do ya reckon?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think being new is the only way to guarantee that it's clean, not already UV damaged, etc. If you wash it well and carefully I'm sure it would be fine. Rain-X does say to not apply to plastics both on the bottle and on their site, but the site says "check with manufacturer."

I did, and HJC says "go for it" so I did. Put it on my clear visor (haven't put it on the smoked one yet) and, so far, no problem at all. I'm really happy they said it was ok, I use the stuff on my vehicles religiously and it's like magic. Almost don't need wipers at all.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Good on ya! Riding in the rain isn't too bad if you've got the gear. Just watch for train tracks and manhole covers as they can be slippery. I picked up a Tourmaster epic jacket and it is awesome. It's an all weather jacket and it's even got this cool neoprene hood rolled up in the collar that goes on under your helmet that keeps the rain off your neck. I love riding my bike in any weather with the right gear.
I still question why the local authorities decided that groups of manholes deserved to be in the middle of intersections and roundabouts, and not on straight roads. Yeah, there's the inherent danger to motorcyclists in wet weather, but it's also a logistical issue: if they have to use a manhole, the entire intersection is affected. On a straight road, close off one lane. But maybe I'm thinking too hard about it :p

·
Registered
534 Posts
Years ago a "long in tooth" experienced rider suggested lemon pledge for windscreens and visors. I have since adopted the suggestion and am happy with the results. It gets the bug guts off and no streaking:D. Plus side, I can polish my furniture as well:D
I've always wanted a helmet made from a nice curly maple. Now I have the reason to go get one!!! :D:p:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts