Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I filled my bike up today for the first time. Only cost me $8.10! :) I was wondering, when the last bar is flashing, does that mean fill up? How many miles can you get out of it when it starts flashing? I got 141 miles out of the tank. I'm guessing I could've gotten a lot more? I also don't want to depend on the gauge. Hence why I'm paying attention to my mileage as well. Also, didn't like that you couldn't put the whole nozzle in. The bridge thingy. It was kinda weird. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have figured out my technique for avoiding splashbacks, but will still get some spray during fillups. I drive straight to the filling station when it's flashing - but only if it's flashing for a few minutes while riding, since sometimes it will stop flashing and show one or even two bars. I imagine that since it's fuel injected, it's prob not a good idea to run out of gas in it.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
1,305 Posts
During normal drying, not trying to save gas, I find I can get about 180-190 out of a tank of gas. If my last bar is flashing before I take off for a ride, I move the bike side to side and listen for how much gas is left. You would be safe going to at least 160 miles once the last bar flashes!

once the bar is flashing i fill up 20 miles

the bike can be flashing on the side stand, yet be at 2 bars upright

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
usually ill fill up with 1 bar left before its flashing..around 130-140 miles....waiting till 160 sounds reasonable to me too, done it a few times....I would just rather top off when its low and a gas station is convenient rather than wait till its an..(oh no..im running on fumes moment) and ur 10 miles from the closest gas station....filling up more frequently or waiting longer doesnt affect your mileage per gallon that much to make a difference..so why wait till ur almost dry...keep ur gas receipt..note ur miles ( i txt my odometer mileage to my email) then i log into Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG when i get the chance later to compute my mpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got 141 miles out of the tank. I'm guessing I could've gotten a lot more? I also don't want to depend on the gauge.
I think it's been observed that the flashing indicator comes on a bit early. I only fill up 2.4 gallons when it starts flashing. So if your doing the same remember that your dividing those 141 miles by 2.4 gallons and not the full 3.5 tank capacity.

Edit* And what SPD said is probably the most accurate method to tracking your mpg, keep the receipt and write down your odometer miles on the back of it. The next fill up you can do the same, this time subtracting the latest odometer reading from the previous one, and dividing by how many gallons you filled.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
You can setup txt messaging with Fuelly. It's super fast + easy.

You just text miles driven, price per gallon, and total gallons filled. And voila, fillup. Easy as that.

On my longer trip, I ended up filling up every 2 gallons just out of paranoia, even though I never really had to look hard for gas because I was on 95S and 85S the entire way. Normally I end up filling 2.4 gallons or so. I think the most I've ever done is 2.77. I think I'm going to just use my avg MPGs and run the next tank to 3 gallons just for sh*ts.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I'm def gonna sign up on fuelly. Also gonna save all my gas receipts. I wanna see how much I'll spend a month on gas. I only put in 2.215 gals today.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What's the most you have actually been able to put in the tank?? I got 2.818 gallons one time and i was pumped. Pun intended.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a good question. But I don't wanna run dry just to find out. Maybe the rest is throughout the fuel system? But I thought the tank itself was supposed to hold 3.5 gal. Hmm.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've ridden a solid 40 miles after the bar started flashing. And it started flashing while riding so i know it wasn't due to the bike off balance or something. My guess is it might be a gallon or so left when it starts flashing.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
So I filled my bike up today for the first time. Only cost me $8.10! :) I was wondering, when the last bar is flashing, does that mean fill up? How many miles can you get out of it when it starts flashing?
1st bar on is .8 gallons. 1st bar flashing is .4 gallons and you are about to run out in 30 miles. Dead empty to the edge of the fill plate is 3.1 gallons. Your mileage will get better after the engine breaks in and adapts.

·
1,305 Posts
really.... .4 gallons at the 1st flashing light?

i've always wondered how the bike spec says a 3 gallon tank and i never get close to it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I either thought that my gauge was inaccurate, or the tank spec was inaccurate.

So I guess 3.1 gallons is our real working size here? That's something good to keep in mind.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm def gonna sign up on fuelly. Also gonna save all my gas receipts. I wanna see how much I'll spend a month on gas. I only put in 2.215 gals today.
That's the nice thing about fuelly is that it will track all that for you and even show graphs and other stuff! They also have an app for smartphones (BB's, droids and Iphone's) so you can just enter all your stuff right at the pump. I filled up today too. I had one bar left (it was at one the whole ride to work too so it was probably close to flashing) and it took 2.5 gallons for 180 miles. A LOOOOTTT better than my jeep! lol

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
The 250 will do 40km at W.O.T when the last bar flashes.. then you are walking (trust me I found this out xmas day in remote Western Australian countryside.)

It does 260km per tank at W.O.T.
It holds 11.1 litres from empty to brim full,
Not 13 litres as the brochure says.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts