Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
another question... before i go ahead with this, i did find few similar posts to this topic...but no one helped me a lot...so might be asking it again...

what are the ideal gear-speed ratios..?

i mean for any particular gear what is the ideal min-max speed...
some of my friends says its like
1st 0kmh-19kmh
2nd 20-30
3rd 30-40
4th 40-50
5th 50-60 and
6th 60-onwards... is it correct way..??

where as i dont follow that...
i rather go 1st gear 0-20kmh, 2nd 21-40, 3rd 41-60, 4th 61-90+, 5th 91-120 and i rarely use 6th and it s from 120+...

i dont say i am right...but what do u guys thing.... if anyone has more knowledge in terms of how engine works and how will it affects overall...pls comments are welcome but dont use heavy wordings....:(

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Shift/ride in the fat part of the power band,

so anywhere between 6500-9500.
forget speeds.

·
Registered
394 Posts
lol doing 60 in 6th gear is what we call hypermiling.

But yeah, ignore the speedo, change gears when your ears can't handle the noise of the revs. Depends on my mood but if I'm being conservative I'll shift pretty early, if I'm in a racey kinda mood I'll be shifting at redline.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your friends sound more accurate with how I drive mine. This bike revs higher than I expected it to. I drive a manual car though so it seemed to be easier to know by sound when to shift than a friend of mine who doesn't. If I don't have to brake a lot I could easily cruise in 4th gear at 30mph. 45-50mph I'm in 6th gear.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume bikes are similar to car engines - the higher the rev, the more work the engine does and the more gas it burns. Not really a big deal though.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you shift up and it bogs down then you shifted too soon. Any time after that up to redline is fine, and where you shift depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
In MPH terms, my cruising falls in these ranges...
1st: 0-10
2nd: 11-20
3rd: 21-30
4th: 31-40
5th: 41-50
6th: 51+
Again, this is for MPH.

·
Registered
394 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
I find I cruise around at about 5000-5500 rpm. It rides smooth and gives you good acceleration if you need it. Anything below 4500 rpm will lug the engine and give you poor take off if needed. I don't bother with the speedo if in traffic.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thankx a lot guys....much appreciated..
bdw, when im going at say 80kmh at 4th-5th... and if i see that i hav to stop soon.. so do i slow down (with unrolling the throttle and applying brakes) along with shift down... i mean while slowling, when i reach to 50kmh, shud i be in 3rd or in 25kmh shud i be in 2nd or jus pull the clutch, stop and then shift down..??? (im not talking in case of an emergency...) i usually come down to abt 10+kmh and then shift down all the gears... is it right???

·
Registered
540 Posts
There is no right answer to this, I don't know why you think there is.

The gear you should be in is the gear that is appropriate to what you're trying to accomplish. You'll know which gear that is at the time, because if it's the wrong one, you won't be able to do whatever it is you're trying to do -- be that slow down quicker with engine braking, or accelerate up a hill.

·
Registered
394 Posts
There's many ways to come to a stop. Some people engine brake, that's where you downshift with reduced throttle and the bike will slow down, and you keep downshifting until you're in first or neutral. Can be used in combination with or without brakes, I tend to engine brake before using the brakes when stopping at a set of lights.

In wet weather, I've been advised not to engine brake but I still do it on occasion, depends on the slope, how wet the road is, and how far away the lights are. You can hold the clutch in and brake, then mash the gears until you're in first/N but of course you don't want to leave it too late and end up stationary whilst in third or second, still kicking the gear pedal.

Practice in an empty carpark or when the streets are quiet, pick a destination or a route through streets with traffic lights nearby and hope you get a couple of reds. Try engine braking, clutch in brakes only, etc etc and you'll start to feel comfortable with whatever suits you best.

If I'm hard on the brakes for whatever reason, I tend to pull the clutch in as a default action: possibly to prevent stalling. If you stall it after having just come to a near-stop the bike will lurch forwards which is probably not what you want after having slammed on the brakes.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I also forgot to mention that I'll generally go through random phases of using front brake only, rear brake only, and both brakes. They all work, some are better at stopping faster, some are better at smoother stopping. Continuing on from my previous post, I do find that I engine brake 90% of the time, using the rear/front/both brakes right at the end to stop the bike after I've pulled the clutch in and the bike is rolling free. I also usually have a foot (pick a random foot, lol) off the footpeg near the ground ready to "land". Sometimes both feet.

All good things to learn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts