Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is mentioned in the manual to use the engine power switch only in case of emergency engine switch off. But I have seen in most of the videos people using the engine power switch to turn off the engine and to switch it on before starting the bike. I use the key to shut off my bike. How do you do it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I use my key solely because of the manual. Other riders (on other bikes) hit the kill switch or just drop the kickstand while in first gear.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Key only

·
Registered
226 Posts
I love this forum! I've been using the engine shutdown switch. :cool:

I think I was on such a new-bike-owner's high when mine was delivered that I didn't retain many of the details from the O/M. Time for some rereading... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
356 Posts
ive heard the key as well, however in the msf class they tell us to use the cutoff switch first. i think its only to get in the habit where if you really need to use the cutoff to realize its easier because it doesnt require you to take your hand off the bars

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
ive heard the key as well, however in the msf class they tell us to use the cutoff switch first. i think its only to get in the habit where if you really need to use the cutoff to realize its easier because it doesnt require you to take your hand off the bars
I did not do a msf class. Did they mention even in normal condition to use the engine power kill switch? I just wanted to know what the difference is. The manual does not say what the difference is.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I use the cutoff, but really it is out of personal preference.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use the cutoff, but really it is out of personal preference.
All I know from my old riding experience is the key will cut power to the spark plugs and thus the engine is stopped. I have never ridden a bike with engine kill switch. Does it do it differently?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I use the key because I had a bad experience with my quad using the kill switch. The contacts in the kill switch went bad and my quad didn't want to restart miles and miles out in the Florida swamps. After messing around with the switch for about 20 minutes I got it to catch just right and have never used anything but the key ever since! Plus like my salesman told me if you use the key everytime you're almost guaranteed to never walk off with your key sitting in your bike.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The key, always. I learned the MSF steps, but unless there is an emergency I like to stay away until the SHTF. Plus its two more steps to switch the kill switch off and back on. Why bother under normal conditions?

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
All I know from my old riding experience is the key will cut power to the spark plugs and thus the engine is stopped. I have never ridden a bike with engine kill switch. Does it do it differently?
The engine kill switch only stops the engine, while lights, horn, signals and instruments will continue to operate. The key switch shuts off power to everything... lights, turn signals, horn, instruments. My bike is non ABS, so I am not sure about this, but I would think that stopping the engine with the kill switch while the key switch is still on, will allow the ABS system to continue to operate in an emergency situation.

Can anyone who has an ABS bike confirm whether or not the ABS system works with engine OFF, key switch ON?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Usually the key but occasionally the kill switch, I guess whatever's convenient.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I use the key to turn on and off the ignition on a daily basis and the Engine cut off switch as an emergency instant kill if required.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, this is really odd. I would like to know the motivation behind the manual indicating using the key to shut the bike off.

Could using the kill switch be bad for the electronics? You would think they would design the system to not damage itself if using the kill switch. So could that really be the reason?

Wearing out of the kill switch? I've had 4 different very old, and not entirely well treated bikes and never encountered a problem with the kill switch; not to mention my buddies bikes which were to an even greater degree 'less loved'. Are the new kill switches of poorer design and robustness that they would wear out? Unlikely.

So what could be their reasons?

I like what the course teaches in that it's a good idea to kill the bike before removing your hand from the handle bar. Not that I'd campaign for it, but it seems like a sound safety concept. Of course, you could always use your left hand to key off the bike while keeping your right within reach of the kill switch.

Extra steps to use the kill switch doesn't seem like enough of a factor to matter at all.

It would really be nice to know Honda's reasoning.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts