Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle

Is this level of gasket material okay? Or am I going to have to spend 11 years working it all off gouging the metal to prevent/cause leak from the new gasket?

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
317 Posts
View attachment 45132
Is this level of gasket material okay? Or am I going to have to spend 11 years working it all off gouging the metal to prevent/cause leak from the new gasket?
Yes. Not 11 years, only 10 years, you can smear the gasket residue with a thinner, It will softened the gasket residue. You need to work slowly and patiently to avoid two types of damage:
  1. Damage to the sealing surface that made of soft metal (Aluminum).
  2. Do not let shims and gasket chips to enter into your engine.
To perform a good job, remove the 2 Pins and 1 collar.
Sealing is important not only in the lip of the case,
care must also be taken to replace the 3 O-Rings(1.9) (see attached photo).
P.S. It is also possible(But not recommended) not to remove the gasket residue and apply the sealing surface with a thin layer of sealing glue (Do not flood with glue so as not to block oil passages that are close to the sealing surface). And if you choose to clean the gasket residue, soak the new gasket in the oil which will ensure easier removal next time (Wipe off oil residue after the engine is running and warming up for the first time, and return to check for tightening screws).
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tire Automotive design

·
Registered
26 Posts
Take your time, use a type of solvent, rag, and a razor. There are different preferences on how to do it, but it just takes patience. Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again. think about how this thread started :D Jokes aside, you'll want to get the mating surface clean, yes.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yesterday I removed the GASKET from the left crankcase cover, it went really hard and slowly. An hour and a half of work maybe more. I edited the video and downloaded it to YouTube:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yesterday I removed the GASKET from the left crankcase cover, it went really hard and slowly. An hour and a half of work maybe more. I edited the video and downloaded it to YouTube:
I had an entire new crankcase cover to put on I was trying to take what stuck to the engine side off which was a bit tricky but like you I ended up using a razor blade and carb cleaner to soften up the tougher parts. My plastic scraper just wasn’t working. It’s all buttoned up with oil and coolant back in it but it’s snowing right now so I’ll wait until tomorrow to fire it up and check for leaks. I always forget how much of a pain it is to get the valve cover gasket back on it really makes me not look forward to the next valve job. I’m really looking into the crf300l rally as a next bike to commute on so I’ll be stuck with exactly the same engine to maintain but jokes on me because these are probably the easiest to work on out there. Doesn’t get simpler than a Honda single right?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Doesn’t get simpler than a Honda single right?
Ease of maintenance in old motorcycle is less related to the brand.
The list of influencing factors will look like this:
  1. In a more common model it is easier to get spare parts, including second-hand parts. The parts will be cheaper.
  2. Less volume, requires the use of less power while working, and less special tools. When the volume is small there are less screws in the engine, which shortens the maintenance time.
  3. Air cooling system make the engine more easier to maintain.
  4. Yes, and also the matter of the single cylinder, because in such an engine there are less parts, less screws, and so on.
  5. A naked motorcycle it means that less plastics to disassemble before starting the treatment itself.
  6. Tubeless tires are harder to wear on the rim than regular tires (with inner tube).
  7. Four valves with shims take much longer time to adjust than two valves with adjusting screws.
  8. And when everything is full of components to increase power, plug replacement also becomes a small project.
When I looking at these 8 parameters it is difficult to say that CBR250RD 2013 (67,000Km) is a motorcycle that is easy to self maintain. And there are more complex CBR250R models with canister and ABS.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts