Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if this has been a thread already, but I was just wondering how many fellow canucks are on this forum? If it hasn't been posted yet, then let me be the first to start it off! Please feel free to post pics of you and your bike with/without mods, and of course where you're from!

I'm from Winnipeg, MB. No 250....yet, but I will post pics up as soon as I get it! No definate choice in colour as I will be taking whatever they have in stock when I do pick one up!

·
Registered
100 Posts
fellow canuck

Hi there - i am in Newmarket, just north of TO. picked up my red ABS almost 3 weeks ago - and almost to the first oil change. Feeling more confident on it - as my first bike i am still getting used to riding a motorbike, after many thousands of KM's on my road bike. Liking the bike alot - not that i have a lot of comparative experience to draw from other than the junkers at my M1 exit course, where i rode a cbr 125 - the 250 is a completely different bike - bigger, better in every way. enjoy your ride when you get it! :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Liking the bike alot - not that i have a lot of comparative experience to draw from other than the junkers at my M1 exit course, where i rode a cbr 125 - the 250 is a completely different bike - bigger, better in every way. enjoy your ride when you get it! :)

What kind of bikes did they offer at the course other than the cbr125? I was thinkin of jumpin on the 125 so I can pass the course easier, but figured that I would just do it on the 250 so when I get the cbr250, I would know how to handle it already!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey there, another cbr250 owner from Vancouver checking in. Picked up my red cbr250 last week, and have been on almost everyday so far, cept a day of heavy rain that i didnt feel like riding in! Great bike, very smooth and predictable. I'm a small guy, so a 250 class bike will do me just fine for quite a few years. Love everything about this bike so far. Almost bought a 125, but figured i would get a little more out of the 250 in the long run. Welcome fellow Canadians!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a small guy, so a 250 class bike will do me just fine for quite a few years. Love everything about this bike so far. Almost bought a 125, but figured i would get a little more out of the 250 in the long run.

It's funny that you mentioned that cus I am on the same page and I almost was convinced that the 125 was my only option! But as soon as the 250 came out, and then finally in a local dealership, I was glad that I didn't settle for the 125. In comparison, the 125 is waaaaaay smaller than the 250. It looked like I was comparing a scooter to a sportbike!

·
Registered
119 Posts
actually, i thought the 2011 cbr125 was almost exactly the same size as the 250, when i saw them side by side at the dealer! But the 07,08,09 cbr125's are tiny in comparision. Not a bad bike by any means, but definitely smaller looking with the thinner tires and just smaller overall. I was very torn in the end between the cbr250 and a late model ninja 250, but for the same price, i kinda liked the idea of fuel injection, since i can ride 12 months a year in my neck of the woods. I think the FI will be nice on those rare days when it gets down to single digits in the winter, ha ha!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was very torn in the end between the cbr250 and a late model ninja 250, but for the same price, i kinda liked the idea of fuel injection...

Same here! I was sold on the Ninja only cus it has been out longer and aftermarket parts are everywhere! But then after doin major research and comparisons, the fuel injection was what sold me, other than being different from everyone else who happen to own the Ninja. Sure the Ninja is a bit faster on the top end, but the CBR is just waaaay better!

·
Registered
119 Posts
yeah, to me top end speed is really a non issue, there aren't alot of freeways in BC that are over 100km/h, and most in the lower mainland are 80-90km/h. I'm really not sure where people who complain about not being able to go 160-170km/h are coming from....i've never been that fast in my 250hp car let alone a two wheeler! Granted, i may be in the small minority of people who actually travel at the posted speed limit.....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Must be nice to be able to even 80 km! Here in Winnipeg, highest we can go is 60 km. There are a few streets/avenues that we can go up to 80/90 km but that's it! And when you add ALL the potholes we have, nevermind goin more than 60! Lol!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm from Northern Ontario. 2 hours north of North Bay if anyone knows where that is. Or 6 hours north of Toronto. I picked up a black non-abs one May 19th. Haven't rode too much yet. This is my first bike ever so little nervous. My husband has rode it more than me and says when I get my confidence up I'm gonna love it. I'm taking the course but have to wait till July for it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm from Northern Ontario. 2 hours north of North Bay if anyone knows where that is. Or 6 hours north of Toronto. I picked up a black non-abs one May 19th. Haven't rode too much yet. This is my first bike ever so little nervous. My husband has rode it more than me and says when I get my confidence up I'm gonna love it. I'm taking the course but have to wait till July for it.
Hmmm....Kirkland Lake? Englehart? Chaput Hughes? :) New Liskard?

I think what your husband says (re: when I get my confidence up I'm gonna love it) has considerable merit. When you don't have to focus so much on the stress of learning and controlling shifting, speed, balance, in addition to the continuous awareness that's always required as a rider - when it starts to come together and your cerebellum gets some practice at processing these motor tasks ;) - and you can focus more on other aspects of riding - you will be able to enjoy riding more.

Years ago I taught a girlfriend how to alpine ski (I don't recommend this BTW..ha..ha..). But she did great. Didn't fall once. But she was so anxious about doing everything correctly, so worried about falling, so on-edge (figuratively and literally) slowly meandering down the bunny runs, that she was unable to focus on how much fun skiing could be. Eventually with practice she didn't have to devote so many resources toward the mechanics of skiing - and was able to better appreciate how enjoyable it was to ski.

The riding course is great - it will really enhance your confidence. It is tons of fun too!

Mike

·
Registered
119 Posts
good for you for taking it slow. Take the course, learn all your slow speed stuff, this is the bread and butter as far as i'm concerned. Once you learn to maneuver at 20km/h and under, everything above that comes very easily and naturally. Just be aware of whats around you always, and think ahead, even more than you would normally in an car! Learn the basics, it makes a world of difference! But don't be afraid to get out there after that!

·
Registered
31 Posts
New owner from Montreal here, just picked up my red 250r last weekend. Over the last 20 years I owned a KLR650, 2 GSXR 750s, a BMW F650GS, a VStar 1100 and now after a 7 year break from motorcycles I'm back with the 250R. I no longer have the lust for speed and no longer care about owning the fastest/baddest bike around. I also don't like sending money to insurance companies and to the government for license fees and such. The 250R is pure riding pleasure with minimal impact on my wallet, and it feels good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the comments. And CBR250R, I'm in Englehart. Not too many know where that is. My husband has been riding since his teens and I have always just been a passenger so am very excited about being able to hop on my CBR and just go. One of these days I will be able to do just that.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
You will love the course. Others will be in a similar position as you, everyone learning. If it's is good course you will cover eveything from controlled stops and starts to emergency breaking. Best thing is, (hopefully) all this will be on the courses bike so you won't have to learn on your own :D who want to risk dropping their bike????:eek:

After the course get out there and ride, ride, ride. Rack up the hours and enjoy the experience. Also great you can share the riding hobby with your husband.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not too sure if it's the same in every province, but here in Manitoba, they provide the bikes! 125's and 250's! Not sure of what brands but they have for both sport and cruiser types. I can't wait till I take the course cus a) it'll be my first time operating a bike, and b) it'll be the last step before I can ride on my own...legally! I take it in 3 weeks! Wish me luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello from a fellow Canadian in Nova Scotia.

Had my CBR250 since mid May but due to the amount of rain we have had in the past month or so, haven't put a whole lot of km's on it. I am loving the bike and glad I made the decision to upgrade from the CBR125. The 250 gives me the option of still having a smaller bike but it looks and feels like a real bike whereas the 125 looks and feels more like a toy.

Happy riding Canucks!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts