Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive checked on many sites (specially India) and am really wondering that why many people are selling off their cbr and that too with very few kms on it. I even found 1 guy who had not got his bike delivered yet and it is already on sale? am very confused :confused:

·
Registered
636 Posts
not sure why folks may be selling thier cee bees. its a great bike, unless they are looking for a faster machine..but it does like 90 mph. which is far above any posted speed limit..and as far as durability, just read the thread posted entitled: trip to the arctic circle..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dunno how it is in India, but in the U.S., the 250's are cheap enough for many to be an impulse buy. That said, I haven't actually seen too many for sale used around here (midwest U.S.). Maybe the people buying/selling in India are good at haggling and are just trying to make a quick buck?

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
You see this with every bike.

Many reasons:

Weren't what they expected them to be.

Paid a down payment and can't afford the payments. (this happens a lot here in Thailand).

Bought on impulse and want something else.

With the CBR delays many just don't want to keep on waiting, like the guy in the OP who still hasn't has his delivered.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes these can be the reasons... but then too buying and selling this bike just after few kms is a loss because it has the highest price comparing with the other bikes available here although none are 250cc. So can there be a major problem with bike? as most people would not do the buy n sell thing

·
Registered
386 Posts
It's my understanding that the thai made CBR250r and the indian made CBR250r are slightly different and maybe people in India didn't realize it before buying the bikes and they thought they were getting the Thai version instead?

In the US I have not seen many of them for sale at all, and the few that are for sale.

·
Registered
108 Posts
theres only a bhp difference right? to slightly increase the kmpl... what other difference can there be?
indian cbr uses mc42 engine, detuned to hv better FC. & few other localosed parts to make em cheaper.
brakes are of bybre brand ( brembo india sub brand)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Most 250's in US go through a lot of hands as people l learn to ride and then want more power. I would expect a little less of this with the CBR as many other 250's produce under 20 hp but still a fair amount of turnover wouldn't surprise me. There have been a lot of comments on this board over the last year to the effect that people could save a couple grand by waiting a year and picking up a slightly used CBR and I imagine that is correct.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had my cbr250r for 4 months now. The bike handles great and has heaps of torque around town but head winds and cross winds on big rides you just need more power. Its only a 250 stepping stone for someone like me. So I might upgrade to 600 or 750 before i get stuck into a 1000. The cbr250r is a great bike to learn the road on. A+++

·
Registered
35 Posts
Excactly, i plan on upgrading within the next 12 months. The CBR Is a fantastic bike to learn on and to get confidence on but i can imagine picking up a GS500F,CB400 Or even a GSX650F to gain more experience and confidence on a bigger bike before i'm off my P's (2 years to go) then im no longer restricted as to what i can buy!

·
Registered
879 Posts
The little CBR is a great starter bike but it lacks power. After someone learns to ride and then gets on a bigger bike they realize it. And most then want to move up. I have the 250 but also have a 600 and a 1300. I like riding all of them but wouldnt want the little 250 as my only bike

·
Registered
427 Posts
The little CBR is a great starter bike but it lacks power. After someone learns to ride and then gets on a bigger bike they realize it. And most then want to move up. I have the 250 but also have a 600 and a 1300. I like riding all of them but wouldnt want the little 250 as my only bike
Bingo.

I've loaned the WeeBR out to a few buddies I've ridden a couple of miles with (read 10's of thousands). But before I send them off, I tell them to readjust their performance expectations. Seriously, this thing, compared to what we're all used to has trouble pulling a wet noodle off a sidewalk.

To a man, they all come back with a big shite eating grin on there faces. This is a fun bike. But that's all it is, and all it was ever intended to be. It's not a 'performance' bike in the traditional sense of the word. It's a town bike. Ya, you can ride to Alaska on it. You can hunt for grizzly bears with a slingshot too.

The flipside is also true, I can ride my FJR around town, I did for years. But it's really not the best tool for the job.

I need, I think, at least, 4 bikes. My FJR for crossing continents. My CBR for running around town. A Ducati for peeling my eyelids back and a dirt bike. Something vintage would be fun too. Kay, lets call it 5 bikes.

As of today, the WeeBR is put away for the long white. The FJR is still available for the odd scoot until the snow flies. The weather protection, heated grips, and plug in for my liner makes it the obvious nod.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I bet some will regret selling their CBR250Rs after "downgrading" and buying a bigger bike - once they've spent some time getting used to steeper insurance rates, more expensive parts and service, less ease of maintenance, poorer fuel economy, poorer handling, and increased weight.

When I jump on my CBR250R after getting off of my CBR150R - the CBR250R feels like it has comparatively limitless power and torque. Wow. The difference in power and (especially) torque is incredible. When I ride the 250R I have to prepare myself for the jump in power. The CBR250R is just so much easier to ride - because it can do things with much less effort. I still haven't ridden any larger sport bikes, but all the bigger bikes I've ridden bore me rather quickly - because I find they lack character - just don't feel very engaging. Kinda like if you had the choice between driving around your city in a ZR1 Corvette, or in a shifter go-cart. Without a doubt the ZR1 is the power champion. But which one do you really think would be more fun racing around the city? Where do you do most of your riding?

I was concerned after swapping the CBR150R engine into the CBR125R that I just wouldn't be riding it as much as the CBR250R. But the opposite is true. I've been riding the CBR150R the most out of all my bikes, including the CBR250R. Why? It is more fun......at least in the city where I am doing most of my riding right now. It also weighs almost 100 lbs less than the CBR250R. Weight is relative too. The CBR250R feels like an elephant compared to the 150R. Those with big bikes who think the CBR250R is light-weight - think again. It is a pig in terms of weight...compared to the 150R. I can lift the back of the CBR150R off the ground and turn it around (180 degrees) in my driveway. How many can do that with their bikes? And the 150R has loads of character.

Thankfully, the CBR250R still exudes some of the character that makes the CBR150R so much fun to ride around town, and adds some extra stability and power that makes it a more enjoyable mount for highway and cross-country jaunts. That is what makes it special - it offers a nice mix of everything and does it with a dash of character. My current stable of three bikes suits my needs quite well. A WR250R for trail riding, CBR150R for riding in the city, and my big bike - the CBR250R for highway, cross-country, and cross continental touring/camping. :)

Mike

·
Registered
427 Posts
- the CBR250R for highway, cross-country, and cross continental touring/camping. :)
:D

I'm planning a trip next June out to BC then up to Haines Alaska (via Ferry) then riding back from there through Whitehorse YK, and the Icefields Parkway (Jasper/Banff AB) then on home.

I'm GOING TO stop in Thunder Bay on the way home. I'll let you take the FJR for a spin.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The CBR250R flies down the highway with me on it. I would ride it cross country at 75mph no problem. I do want another bike beside the CBR250R though.
2011 CBR125R:)
I agree, is fine in all conditions... I did push 75 and was fine, no need for more.

·
Registered
529 Posts
:D

I'm planning a trip next June out to BC then up to Haines Alaska (via Ferry) then riding back from there through Whitehorse YK, and the Icefields Parkway (Jasper/Banff AB) then on home.

I'm GOING TO stop in Thunder Bay on the way home. I'll let you take the FJR for a spin.
Hey Bungie,

I was hoping you were going to say "And I'm going to do all of this on my CBR250R". :D You're welcome to stay here on the way out and the way back if you wish. We could ride out to Sleeping Giant Park - even do a spectacularly scenic hike up the Giant - it would add some extra adventure to your trip report! :)

I hope if I take the FJR for a spin - I don't suddenly change my perspective and sell the 250R. :( I will then have to eat my words...ha..ha..

Mike

·
Registered
619 Posts
>Ya, you can ride to Alaska on it. You can hunt for grizzly bears with a slingshot too.

Hmm. Ride what you like, it's all good. Yeah, the 250 is not right for you, I can see that. But for a lot of people, the 250 can do just about anything.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hmm. Ride what you like, it's all good. Yeah, the 250 is not right for you, I can see that. But for a lot of people, the 250 can do just about anything.
You missed my point entirely. I love my WeeBR. You can ride a minibike with a Briggs and Stratton powering it across the country. Should you? 5hp, no suspension, tiny tires. Or you could a ride a V8 powered Boss Hoss across the Trans America Trail.

Somebody once said, that adventure is hardship told at leisure. This is exactly correct. Taking a CBR on a multi-day ride is a 'bit' of an adventure. If somebody boasted to me they rode an Ultra Classic HD 300 miles in a day, I'd be like "so what?" (Sadly, this happens far to often). But if you told me you rode a 67 305 Honda around the world my first reaction would "f'n cool!"

I wouldn't sell either without some really serious thought. They both serve their purpose for me very well. But they're purposes are VERY different. Their both tools to do a job. They both excel at what they were designed to do.

It's that adventure thing. How much adventure do you want to subject yourself too?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts