Great commuter and great for novice riders

It's a Honda. Need we say more?

Reactions: AkKnight78

·
Registered
350 Posts
+1 for fuel injection.
Better mpg.
Preferred getting off the line quicker, at intersections, passing, hills, etc., rather than a couple extra mph at the high end.
Didn't relish revving to 11,000 to hit the sweet spot.
I liked the feel -- lighter clutch, ABS option (although, ultimately, I couldn't find one w/ ABS)...
... and the Kawi dealer was a dick...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fuel Injected
Honda quality
Better warranty
Better gas mileage
Easier to disassemble
Holds it's value longer than any other bike that's not Honda
Great commuter and great for novice riders

It's a Honda. Need we say more?
+1

Mostly Fuel Injection is what helped me make the decision

·
Registered
13 Posts
I didn't even consider the Kawasaki since it wasn't fuel injected. Now that Honda has a fuel injected bike in this market, I'm wondering if Kawasaki is feeling pressure to offer it. I'm also partial to Honda. However, I will buy other brands if the bike offers what I'm looking for at the right price (my last bike was a Kawasaki Concours).

·
Registered
724 Posts
Kawasaki didnt give much of an effort in this battle of 2012 250s. Unless you enjoy top end on the freeway get the CBR 100 times out of 100.

·
Registered
350 Posts
They didn't need to develop it, the Europe/Asia model already has it since its launch in '08.
'tis true...

Either they're incredibly arrogant in regard to their 250 class dominance, and don't think it will hurt them in this market, and don't need to put the extra expense into an American fuel injected model...

Or, they're counting on the 2-year running CBR250r shortage (in the US) to frustrate enough buyers into their camp, and don't need to put the extra expense into an American fuel injected model.

Given that there *will* be a good percentage of migrations to the 600/650 class, you'd think they would want to cultivate that loyalty...

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
As previously stated; fuel injection vs carbs....no contest, fuel injection wins out, abs availability, lighter weight, more narrow seat than Ninja, low end torque, Honda reliability, nice slicker look...and so on and so on....:D

Two different bikes, both fun. Having rode both of them, find them both fun. End of the day Honda won out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
they're counting on the 2-year running CBR250r shortage (in the US) to frustrate enough buyers into their camp, and don't need to put the extra expense into an American fuel injected model.
at my dealership i was limited to either a red/silver honda or a black honda. no ABS unless i wanted to wait a few months on either one and i was told the ninja was going to be out of stock for an unknown amount of time.
basically honda got my buisness because the bike was in stock.
i really wanted to try both of them out and then decide on one of them but im happy that i got fuel injection and the honda brand name behind my purchase.
really wanted to see the ninja just to make sure i was getting the right one.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was initially going to to buy the kawasaki. After seeing so many youtube videos of the kawi I was almost hooked until the let down of no EFI for 2012. But I dont look back now. And I never even gave much thought to Honda I basically didnt even think about them as a choice until I watched one head to head video. Sounded more reliable and it was a few hundred off so I rolled with it and I love it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I actually had an '09 Ninja before. I traded it in for this one, and I am very pleased with my new CBR. It fills my need for a reliable commuter and is much superior to the Ninja in that aspect.

EFI, or not, the Ninja will continue to sell well for the foreseeable future, as most riders new into motorcycling want speed + power. They are looking for a cheap first bike, and want to move on by the next "season".

I had a lot of gripes with my Ninja, here are some not all:

Lack of temp gauge(WTF, a carbed bike with no temp gauge? Seems like a necessity) I fixed this with an aftermarket one that also provided a clock.

Pointless fuel gauge, since it was carbed, a reserve would've been nice.

Tach misread on hot days by about 1k, fixed that with an aftermarket ignitor.

Seat sloped into tank, and uncomfortable on touring adventures. Handlebars made my hands go numb after two hours, I replaced the seat with a Corbin.

Suspension was way way too hard for commuting, and the seat sloping into the tank hurt my j**k.

But anyways, in my eyes, the CBR solves my issues, and that's why I enjoy it so much.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Several things drew me to the Honda over the Kawi.
Fuel injection was a big plus.
Single cylinder means less maintenance and less cost. I also liked that the Honda had more torque. I prefer torque over hp on a street bike because it's more usable at low speeds than raw horse power.
I also really liked the ridiculously light clutch lever pull. Coming from a Buell and a HD Sportster before that which require quite a bit of hand strength, I kept thinking the clutch lever snapped on the Honda the first couple days I had her. I really, truly appreciate the Honda's clutch when I'm in traffic.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Fuel injection.
Really like my Honda dealer.
Thought that the Honda got better reviews in the areas that are important to me: fit/finish, ease of use, fuel mileage.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts