Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dang man. glad he was okay but i just never understand why people wont wear the proper gear when riding, especially when people dont wear helmets. that just seems stupid to me

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Another example of a poor decision outcome. Also shows accidents can happen very quickly and not far from home. The injuries this rider sustained are serious as infection is high risk. Thx for sharing this good reminder Schroeder.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Aside from the ridiculous amout of GEAR/clothing he WASN'T wearing, my question is what caused the slide- He wasn't going that fast, and he's really lucky there wasn't oncoming traffic!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
he was lucky, down and quickly off the road..
sliding over gravel roads at speed on his back or
side or front would have been a real mess..

they ride around here [beach suburb] in shorts,
with pillion in bikini, or riding their own scoots
in next to nothing..

at least we have a helmet law..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ah jeeze son of a hamburger, that's pretty nasty. Guy was amazingly calm though, he is either pretty tough or still in shock. True story, I rode to my girlfriend's house today. I got to the end of my street and realized I forgot to put on my riding boots. I took the 10 mins to go back for them.
My big gear weakness is my legs. I wear Levis shrink to fits, not much protection above bicycle speeds, but the tax return just came in. I see some new tires, riding pants and warmer gloves in my future.
Here is my current gear:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Aside from the ridiculous amout of GEAR/clothing he WASN'T wearing, my question is what caused the slide- He wasn't going that fast, and he's really lucky there wasn't oncoming traffic!
I assume, he used the front brake.
Sounds for a sec like a blocking wheel, I think

they ride around here [beach suburb] in shorts,
with pillion in bikini, or riding their own scoots
in next to nothing..

at least we have a helmet law..
Usual safety cloth here is T's and shorts, plus flip flops.
And if tourist guy on big bike, no T to see ;-)
And yes, a helmet law, plus 100% helmet on safety campaign leads to:
The police looks the other way, in front of schools, isn't doing checkpoints at school times and focusing mostly only on the driver. As long it's not a "only Farang" load on the bike.

But hey, there is a "3 up is illegal" law here, too. Who cares?

Amazing thailand, huu?

·
Registered
514 Posts
My big gear weakness is my legs. I wear Levis shrink to fits, not much protection above bicycle speeds, but the tax return just came in.
If it's a real Denim Levis, the protection is amazingly good! Don't forget, Jeans are coming from working cloth. With a jeans, his jeans would have looked like his leg, but his leg would only have minor scratches!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
514 Posts
There is no question about, that a normal jeans is not proper riding gear!

But a normal jeans, in a lowsider like this, would have done a good job.
A normal jeans will get you through a 5-10m slide.
Depends on the surface of the road, of course.
So he would have lost the jeans, but not all of that skin.
That's all, I've said.

In City traffic, meaning lower speed, jeans is quiet ok.
It is the "no impact protection", that is killing/injuring people in slower traffic.
Not the ability, to slide a hundred meters, from 200 to 0 km/h, without getting to the skin!

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I always wonder about the thought process of a person who understands the need to wear a helmet, but nothing else.

I think they only wear the helmet because they think it makes them look cooler on their bike.

I do think one reason people don't wear ATGATT is that it is pretty expensive to do it right. Likely most new riders don't factor the added cost into their decision to buy a bike.

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
I always wonder about the thought process of a person who understands the need to wear a helmet, but nothing else.

I think they only wear the helmet because they think it makes them look cooler on their bike.

I do think one reason people don't wear ATGATT is that it is pretty expensive to do it right. Likely most new riders don't factor the added cost into their decision to buy a bike.
I believe you're right Stichill, and I think that is particularly true for New, Young Owners of these so called "entry level bikes" like the CBR250R. I suspect that many of these NYO's have scraped together every last nickel and dime to buy the bike, often without even finding out what insurance will cost. On top of that, the NYO is more often than not bitten by the mod fever bug, pouring any extra money that they do have into silly farkles for the bike, instead of focusing of getting quality riding gear.

It seems ironic that those riders who race on closed course tracks, which by most accounts is inherently much safer than riding a bike on streets & public roads with unpredictable traffic and often unknown road surface conditions, are far better equipped in the event of a crash with proper protective gear than most street riders will ever be. Almost seems like it should be the other way around.

·
Registered
514 Posts

It seems ironic that those riders who race on closed course tracks, which by most accounts is inherently much safer than riding a bike on streets & public roads with unpredictable traffic and often unknown road surface conditions, are far better equipped in the event of a crash with proper protective gear than most street riders will ever be. Almost seems like it should be the other way around.
You really think so?
Most street riders will never get to the limits.
Neither to their limits, nor to the bikes, tires or the roads limit.
Ok, the "their limits" is questionable!

On a racetrack, however, people go to get to the limits.
I assume, in many countries, driving a bike, even a 250cc bike, always to the limits, will let some judge ask for a check, if you are available, to drive in public!

This said: Yes, as soon someone is leaving the "protected in town areas" I would make it mandatory, to use protective gear.
But hey, almost everywhere is the law saying "helmet on"
And almost everywhere, you see them/some riding without.
What I think, is in town as dangerous, maybe even more dangerous, as over land!

0:)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

This might very well be the case but I think it's also the "coolness" factor. "Don't be a pus*y" and that crap. Two years ago I was overtaken by a R1 or R6 (couldn't see it properly as the guy was excessively speeding) with two people on it. The guy was wearing the mandatory helmet, a shirt, shorts and normal shoes (the ones that you can see go flying in crash videos...), the girl was wearing the helmet, a light summer dress and was barefoot.... I don't think that was a cost factor but just pure stupidity ("boy are we cool speeding dressed like that on our super bike"....).

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I got tired of dressing for EVERY ride.

I quit riding.

But, I am old and tired (and scared).

I loved my kevlar mesh pants, before I started losing weight, and they would not stay up anymore.
(I was only 175 lbs. [80kg] when I bought the pants. Now I am less than 150 [67kg])

My State has no helmet law for adults. I never rode without one. It took me a long time to finally get protective pants. I was very lucky.

·
Registered
39 Posts
think they only wear the helmet because they think it makes them look cooler on their bike..
I agree with this, although i feel cool wearing all my gear. Ive had people say man you look cool when you fully geared up and stuff. Ive always thought that wearing the full gear looked cool. Get a nice stylish jacket and a cool helmet ect.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Everyone has their reasons for making the choices they do, good or bad. I see many riders on the road with little or no protective gear. You have the young guys, who are image conscious(they ain't pussies), or perhaps strapped for cash. I also see old timers out there without even a helmet riding expensive Goldwings and Harleys. In their case I believe its ego, they think they don't need gear because they do not believe they are going to crash.

Some of the guys who race think guys like me are nuts for riding among the uneducated mouth breathing masses. We all choose the level of risk we are willing to take. I choose to wear gear, read riding books and take my safety seriously. I mean too much to people I care very deeply about to not take my own safety seriously. These people would rather I not ride at all.They have seen the joy, and happiness my bike brings me.They have become more supportive and rest easier knowing I am taking the risks seriously.

Riding is a joy and a pleasure, injuries and untimely death are not. So I do my best to keep the joy in motorcycling.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I feel safer on my moto in my gear than I do on my Bicycle. I see people riding at heightened speeds on bicycles, locked into their pedals wearing a foam helmet that covers the top of their head and a skimpy amount of spandex and find it cringe worthy !

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
@nothin2do.....excellent point. Last summer I bought a bicycle after many years of not riding one. I was surprised at how "unsafe and shaky" I felt on my maiden voyage. The main reason was the lack of safety gear. I purchased a helmet of course even though it is not mandatory for adults in my area. It's lightness almost felt redundant. All in all I was left feeling "exposed" compared to riding the motorcycle.

My observation re: safety gear has shown me that HD/cruiser riders wear chaps, vests or jackets, shorty helmets and fingerless gloves. Mostly not aimed at safety but it's the culture fashion statement.

Adventure riders tend to show up fully geared, not necessarily a fashion statement,

Dirt bike: safety geared

Super sports: mixed; the cool dudes and their 2-up buddies are more intent on showing off than trying to survive the journey unscathed. This is where we see the booty shorts and flip-flops. The Ducati subset dress in Dianese leathers head to toe. As a whole I am seeing more and more an emphasis on ATGATT. That said, the climate can often dictate the approach to dressing appropriately for the ride.

Interestingly the bike choice can tend to influence the riding gear. One would usually not wear chaps on a sport bike, nor would a sport bike rider wear dirt bike boots. Even our helmet choice is influenced by what we ride. Thus, I conclude that although safety is on all our minds, the riding culture we surround ourself with can influence our approach to ATGATT mantra.

Of course, this is not an etched in stone rule. Next time you're at a popular busy MC coffee stop look around and see the cultural differences.

PS...I'm not in agreement with being a slave to fashion. I support proper fitting gear designed to protect. The above is an observation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts