Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I know I've had this thing since mothers day, literally bought on mothers day, but I already want to put better/wider tires on this. I was always good at doing the math on car tires with aspect ratios and width to overall diameter etc etc, but the dynamics involved with motorcycle tires is a bit different. Any insight from any of you guys that have gone with different tire sizing on bikes?

·
Registered
172 Posts
My old cruiser used to have a 180 on the back over the stock 170. After a getting screwed by a screw, I put on a new 170 to get it back to stock. Handling wise, did not notice to much of a difference. Only difference was that with the 170, it could fall into a lean a little faster over the 180. Other than that go for it...

Also, a wider tire will last a little longer... more rubber to wear out. I know this, because my IRC's on my 130 tire wore out after 4,000 miles... the sport tire on my gsxr is a 180, has almost 5,000 miles on it, and I expect to reach 6,000 before replacing it. The IRC is considered a sport touring tire, while the tire on my gsxr is considered a sport tire. It has softer rubber, but still lasted alot longer than my little wheel.

Just about anything out there is better than the IRC Roadwinner's they put on there. I just put some Pilot Powers on my 250, and although considered a sport touring tire, they handle much better. I always felt the IRC's slipping just a tad when I had the bike leaned over a bit.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Ride your bike and don't worry about tires right now.

Get the stock sizes when you change them. Unless you want some huge and yummy strips.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Changing tire sizes on a bike does more than it will for a car.

This bike is designed to work perfectly with the tire sizes that come from the factory.

If you need more sticky tires, those are available, but don't ruin the handling of your bike by throwing "fat meats" on it...

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you need more sticky tires, those are available, but don't ruin the handling of your bike by throwing "fat meats" on it...
+1.
Here we go again.
Another "I need bigger tyres" thread.
Whatever you say Valentino.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
221 Posts
What about track use then guys, I have no chicken strips and can still lean the bike over more without repositioning my body

·
Registered
323 Posts
What about track use then guys, I have no chicken strips and can still lean the bike over more without repositioning my body
Riding on a track is a different thing entirely. You are constantly working the rubber hard corner after corner after corner. It is probably the only time you can get an oversize tyre to reach, and stay, at optimum operating temperature.
It does not however change the possibility of having a mismatch of tyre/rim size. A mismatch will cause the tyre to take on an incorrect shape, so unless you think you are smarter than the engineers who designed it...........?
Most of the time (but not always) larger tyres require more effort to initiate a turn and are slower to react to your steering input.
On the track sometimes you must make trade-offs. For instance - I did put a bigger tyre on an EX500 (Ninja) in order to get a bigger contact patch up front for braking. Also, IIRC. the larger size was available in stickier race compund rubber. The trade off was that it required more effort to turn in.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Any insight from any of you guys that have gone with different tire sizing on bikes?
yes ..........this topic belongs in the squid section :D

jk man , you are not on your "break-in period" , are you ?:D:D

rode a 190 on a 180 on the street once :confused:

my 2 cents:

it WILL ride , and look cool....:cool:
...but it will handle like *hit :(

and you better hope some one like me don't pull up next to you at the light and notice that *hit because i'll hand you your squid card right there on the spot :D:D

might as well put a 600rr swing arm and wheel set-up to match the 600rr front-end with inverted forks:rolleyes:..... :D:D:D

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Moto3 bikes have a 120 section rear Tyre.

They are twice the HP of our bike and a billion times quicker.
Our 250 already has too big a tyre purely for marketing purposes.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Look at me!
I have big tyres!
I must be sooooo BAAAAAADDD!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Might be time to show them your stock IRCs shredded right to the edge again.:cool:

·
Registered
278 Posts

If the larger section tire on our bike still makes for decent handling but happens to increase the mileage that we'll get out of a tire.. I'll take it !

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
If the larger section tire on our bike still makes for decent handling but happens to increase the mileage that we'll get out of a tire.. I'll take it !
How many miles you get out of a tire has a lot to do with how you ride AND the rubber compound of the tire AND the inflation pression AND.... lots of stuff.

If you want more miles without changing how you treat the tire, get a harder compound rubber. This will affect your stopping and cornering, because the tire will no longer bite as hard.

For me, tires and brakes are the two parts of the bike which keep me stuck to the road and get me stopped in a jiffy when needed. I don't skimp on either and I don't worry about how much I get out of them.

When my stock IRC dies, I'll probably throw a BT-003 on there just to see what it's lifespan is with my riding conditions/style. I <3 soft, sticky rubber.

Reactions: SizzlinSpenc

·
Registered
172 Posts
+1 TX_Dj. His first two sentences tells you most of what you need to know with tires. I don't go to tracks myself... If I want practice I usually go to an empty parking lot to try stuff out. Hint: church parking lots are large and empty on most weekdays.

Also, the CBR has a standard 140 rear tire... considering the competition, this is actually large. The ninja has a 130. 2007 and earlier, I think their tires were 120 on 16 inch rims. I like to get the sport touring tires with dual compound rubber... Has the hard rubber in the middle for longevity, and softer rubber on the sides for better grip in cornering. I keep the front tires soft for good reason... braking.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Coming from a Ninja250R, I find this thread kinda funny. One thing everyone on the Ninjette forums wants to do first is get a wider rear tire. You wouldn't believe the sizes they've tried to cram on the back of that bike. You can't swing a dead cat on a Ninja250 forum without finding an "I want a bigger rear tire" thread.
So here comes the CBR250R and it has a wider rear tire than the Ninja as stock, but of course it's just not wide enough for some people. What is it with this "big tire" envy? Why does everyone want their bike to look like a refugee from Orange County Choppers?
I think the stock tires handle phenomenally for what they are and I'd be looking for a grippier compound in the same size before I'd risk messing with the bike's handling, which is far superior to the Ninja's, by the way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You guys really kill me!! I think its so funny how you idiots cannot accept diversity!!! People are different!! You are not always right!!! This guy was asking about larger tires, and all of you cut him for it, why???? Its his bike, let him do what he wants!! I say to the OP, put em on there, post some pics, and give a report on how it changed the handling. If it looks better, and still handles well, I may be purchasing some myself.:D If your against changing tire sizes on your bike because it will disrupt the space/time continuum, then leave it alone!! No body has asked you to change yours!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
You guys really kill me!! I think its so funny how you idiots cannot accept diversity!!! People are different!! You are not always right!!! This guy was asking about larger tires, and all of you cut him for it, why???? Its his bike, let him do what he wants!! I say to the OP, put em on there, post some pics, and give a report on how it changed the handling. If it looks better, and still handles well, I may be purchasing some myself.:D If your against changing tire sizes on your bike because it will disrupt the space/time continuum, then leave it alone!! No body has asked you to change yours!:rolleyes:
Umm.... yes they are right. ppl might be different but a 4 inch rim is a 4 inch rim, tell us why are you not happy with your 4 inches? :)

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I always liked the title of Lance Armstrong's book -
"It's Not About the Bike"
That also applies to motorcycles.
Subtitle to Armstrong's book could be "It's about doping, and not getting caught":eek:

Sorry r100, I just couldn't resist.:)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts