Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I didn't say I was not happy. I do think a wider tire would look better....if that means a wider rim is required....then so be it!! Are wider rims available?? I'm no motorcycle guroo, but working on cars to heavy equipment all the way back to lawn mowers I have been there and done that!! I have done this stuff all my life, it's what I do for a living, and its not ROCKET SCIENCE!! When I look at my bike...all I see are nuts and bolts! Where I am from...no two bikes are alike!!! I'm just saying that some of you guys say "It's just a scooter, but at the same time say don't mess with that it took a highly skilled engineer to design that....are you smarter than him???" LOL:D

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
You guys really kill me!! I think its so funny how you idiots cannot accept diversity!!! People are different!! You are not always right!!! This guy was asking about larger tires, and all of you cut him for it, why???? Its his bike, let him do what he wants!! I say to the OP, put em on there, post some pics, and give a report on how it changed the handling. If it looks better, and still handles well, I may be purchasing some myself.:D If your against changing tire sizes on your bike because it will disrupt the space/time continuum, then leave it alone!! No body has asked you to change yours!:rolleyes:
Contrary to popular American beliefs and culture, bigger is not always better. Shocking, I know. Try putting 6 gallons of water in a 5 gallon bucket and see how that works for you. Tire selection should be about performance for a given application, not "If it looks better... ". If its cosmetics that concern you, there is a myriad of bull sh!t things you can do to your bike to pimp it, without tossing the manufacturer's R&D and engineering efforts into the dumpster in the name of vanity. Really, do you think that Honda just picked tire sizes randomly out of a hat? I don't think so.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
I didn't say I was not happy. I do think a wider tire would look better....if that means a wider rim is required....then so be it!! Are wider rims available?? I'm no motorcycle guroo, but working on cars to heavy equipment all the way back to lawn mowers I have been there and done that!! I have done this stuff all my life, it's what I do for a living, and its not ROCKET SCIENCE!! When I look at my bike...all I see are nuts and bolts! Where I am from...no two bikes are alike!!! I'm just saying that some of you guys say "It's just a scooter, but at the same time say don't mess with that it took a highly skilled engineer to design that....are you smarter than him???" LOL:D
Changing to bigger, wider tires on a motorcycle is not even close to the same thing as putting bigger, wider tires on a car, a lawn mower, or a Cat Road Grader. There is this thing called Vehicle Dynamics, and as it applies to motorcycles, NOTHING is shared from any four wheeled vehicle. I don't know of anyone who uses countersteering when driving their car, or mowing their lawn.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Contrary to popular American beliefs and culture, bigger is not always better. Shocking, I know..
What?!? That's not what she said!

Couldn't resist but on a side note it sucks that they don't make a michilen pilot sport 2 or 3 in the stock rear tire size, when it comes time to upgrade I will def want to stay stock size but really like the reviews of those and I will need some long lasting tires capable of rain since I am using mine as a commuter a lot but still want to be able to have some fun in the turns.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
323 Posts
There is this thing called Vehicle Dynamics, and as it applies to motorcycles, NOTHING is shared from any four wheeled vehicle. I don't know of anyone who uses countersteering when driving their car, or mowing their lawn.
But, but, but, Mike - it looks better.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
278 Posts
How many miles you get out of a tire has a lot to do with how you ride AND the rubber compound of the tire AND the inflation pression AND.... lots of stuff.

If you want more miles without changing how you treat the tire, get a harder compound rubber. This will affect your stopping and cornering, because the tire will no longer bite as hard.

For me, tires and brakes are the two parts of the bike which keep me stuck to the road and get me stopped in a jiffy when needed. I don't skimp on either and I don't worry about how much I get out of them.

When my stock IRC dies, I'll probably throw a BT-003 on there just to see what it's lifespan is with my riding conditions/style. I <3 soft, sticky rubber.

Exactly, and for the same parameters of compound and riding style, if the wider tire designed for the bike gives better mileage, then I'll take that over a narrower tire designed for a different bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think deep down, you guys want wider tires too! Its just that darn space/time contiuum dynamics thingy that only the most sophisticated engineers born and bread for motorcycle tire making are able to determine!! I'll ask them next time I'm there having my brand new redesigned turboincabinator installed....for performance purposes I assure you!!:D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
You guys really kill me!! I think its so funny how you idiots cannot accept diversity!!! People are different!! You are not always right!!! This guy was asking about larger tires, and all of you cut him for it, why???? Its his bike, let him do what he wants!! I say to the OP, put em on there, post some pics, and give a report on how it changed the handling. If it looks better, and still handles well, I may be purchasing some myself.:D If your against changing tire sizes on your bike because it will disrupt the space/time continuum, then leave it alone!! No body has asked you to change yours!:rolleyes:
sounds like someone is still on their "break-in period":rolleyes:

the OP asked for the opinion of past experience with off-set tires , he can put whatever tire he wants....but is a squid move :(

........but is just for "looking cool" ... nothing else , not better milage , handling or whatever excuse you say :confused:

personally have smoked many "busas and zx-14's" just because they where stretched out with some 225 rear tire :confused:

nice for the 1/4 mile runs :cool:..... but squid move for the streets :eek:

funny how my peers that hate/don't know about motorcycles , first thing they say "get a bigger rear tire bro" ..... smh.

trying to explain to them why not is like trying to explain to you why not :D

BTW-i dont have to worry about the "space/time continuum".....
....i got a flux capacitor on mine ;)

250's !?......you guys should have gotten BUSAS BRO !!!!!!

^ hahahahahahaha:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Finally some humor out of somebody!!! God forbid if you would happen to think one tiny size larger flux capasitor would look better...smh!! I really dont even want a wider tire, but I am also not afraid to tell anyone that I had thought about it...My bike was sitting beside a 600 at the dealership the day I bought it....I couldnt help noticing the difference and thought....I wonder if you could put a bigger one on here...And I also was saying one size wider...I really didnt think that it would deem the bike unridable....seeing as I ride my bike back N forth to work.....I have to outright break the speed limit to even get a good lean in on a curve....Its just really flat around here. I can look at other bikes around here and the tires are wearing directly in the middle....the sides look new still...like every bike is a drag bike. I don't race it nor do I plan on it....so yes I thought about it!!!! I fully understand the purpose of tires and all the testing and everything that goes on. I also think you should ask someone how the ride their bike before slamming them with all the dynamics. Someone said the tire should match the application??? I was just pickin on you guys sheesh...yall act like I wanted to put a super swamper on there!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
The Flux Capacitor is all about performance, man. That's why I run with two of em in all my bikes.:p

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'd like to see a stretched Busa keep up with me just cruising around town. Never exceeding the speed limit but also seeing how much speed you can hold through some of the turns (when the turn permits it of course) I guarentee I'd have a higher average speed! They actually do races like this too haha

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I am a "Squid" by the stereotype definition, I have a 96 f3 with 180/55/17 (stock 160/60/17) on the rear, with 12 bar and a F.I. cage running a 12/56 sprocket combo. I also have a R6 with 190/550 on the back, and yes it assists with handling. Also well as the classic KZ1000, overbored to a 1300 with a drag bar for the strip. The 250 is past it's break-in period, and I do bring my GFs bike down to traction limits around turns, the pucks on my leather do see concrete regularly, and not that my GF needs that level of traction, it never hurts for me when I am playing around on her bike. If thats what you mean by "squid" then call me a "cephalopod" because thats me.I also was a Nissan certified master mechanic for 10 years, so as far as engineering I know my way around. Granted automobiles are different than bikes, I do understand the concept and theory of contact patch relevant to rim size etc etc. Not sure how asking if anyone has gone to a larger size tire went into this 5 page forum/rant. Am i trying to look like these idiots with stretched swingarms and the tire that looks like an inner tube your kids go down the hill in the snow, absolutely not. Don't care how the bike looks, just how it handles and from my prior experience on other bikes, a wider tire did successfully allow for more cornering ability.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Don't care how the bike looks, just how it handles and from my prior experience on other bikes, a wider tire did successfully allow for more cornering ability.
How's that old saying go... put up or shut up?

Do it, prove everyone wrong...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
How's that old saying go... put up or shut up?

Do it, prove everyone wrong...

I plan to once the market starts offering something decent with the proper aspect ratios, was hoping someone else had already tried one and could let me know what they went with, hence the post. Had no idea it was going to turn into a flame throwing contest :p but to each their own. For all i know it could make the bike handle like straight butt sauce, but for a couple hundred bucks I'm game to find out, just would have been better if someone had a "don't go with this tire" or "this tire was great" story. Won't be the first time I've been a guinea pig, sure it won't be the last.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
"this tire was great"
140/70-17 IRC Roadwinner

I have yet to experience a problem with it, and it's perfect for this bike. :D

21 - 40 of 48 Posts