Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
The RoadWinners are a strange tire to me.
At first I hated them because they were hard and prone to slippage. Then halfway through their life cycle they started gripping well and I started to like them.
My only real complaints about them was the amount of time it takes to get some heat in them and that they were the absolute worse for riding over cracks that are filled with rubberized crack filler. No tire likes that stuff but the stock tires were the squirrelyest I have ever experienced riding over that stuff.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Strange.

Mine are the proverbial goldilocks porridge...

The only time I've had any slippage is on paint stripes in the wet.

That said, the rider and how they treat the machine can make all the difference in the world. I hear people say from time to time "something is wrong with this bike, it just doesn't handle right, I wonder if I should upgrade the XYZ..." Sometimes, more often than not, upgrading the rider is the correct option. :)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yes. Speaking from experience, there's been a couple times I have had to adjust the nut between the seat and the handlebars of my bike(s) :)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
hate it when that nut gets loose! It is a PAIN to get to when it needs tightening.

But yeah, I mean kinda my point is, for all around kick around, the IRCs have done me great so far. There are stickier tires if anyone needs them, but they don't have to be sized differently to be such... I don't want to mess with the way this thing feels, it leans, tracks, and turns just perfectly the way it is, and no sense to me in messing that up. A little out from spec, that's fine... y'know, maybe a 150/70-17 or something, but the wider it is the taller it is at the same aspect as well, and every degree of geometry counts.

·
Registered
155 Posts
+1 TX_Dj. His first two sentences tells you most of what you need to know with tires. I don't go to tracks myself... If I want practice I usually go to an empty parking lot to try stuff out. Hint: church parking lots are large and empty on most weekdays.

Also, the CBR has a standard 140 rear tire... considering the competition, this is actually large. The ninja has a 130. 2007 and earlier, I think their tires were 120 on 16 inch rims. I like to get the sport touring tires with dual compound rubber... Has the hard rubber in the middle for longevity, and softer rubber on the sides for better grip in cornering. I keep the front tires soft for good reason... braking.

That's what I thought. I don't know nothin' yet, but it sure didn't look undersized to me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
140/70-17 IRC Roadwinner

I have yet to experience a problem with it, and it's perfect for this bike. :D

LOL! I will take that into consideration DJ :p

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
hate it when that nut gets loose! It is a PAIN to get to when it needs tightening.

But yeah, I mean kinda my point is, for all around kick around, the IRCs have done me great so far. There are stickier tires if anyone needs them, but they don't have to be sized differently to be such... I don't want to mess with the way this thing feels, it leans, tracks, and turns just perfectly the way it is, and no sense to me in messing that up. A little out from spec, that's fine... y'know, maybe a 150/70-17 or something, but the wider it is the taller it is at the same aspect as well, and every degree of geometry counts.

yes, if it were a perfect world they would make tires in such small variations, the 140/70/17 is the same heighth give or take a mm or 2 as a 160/60/17, but would anyone in their right mind stick a 160/60/17 on a 250r? I should hope not, a 150/65 would be perfect, holding a height diff of .5 mm and extra 10 mm total width, but no such beast exist . I might even find a tire that just has a better created contact patch and that would work fine I suppose, but I would need to find and try it first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I didn't say I was not happy. I do think a wider tire would look better....if that means a wider rim is required....then so be it!! Are wider rims available?? I'm no motorcycle guroo, but working on cars to heavy equipment all the way back to lawn mowers I have been there and done that!! I have done this stuff all my life, it's what I do for a living, and its not ROCKET SCIENCE!! When I look at my bike...all I see are nuts and bolts! Where I am from...no two bikes are alike!!! I'm just saying that some of you guys say "It's just a scooter, but at the same time say don't mess with that it took a highly skilled engineer to design that....are you smarter than him???" LOL:D
Old thread but I have 150s on my 4 inches. From an xj900 rim I put on an xj650 I'm modifying. I love it. Turns in tight. This little 250 is my wife's but I like to play on it. I say do what makes you happy. If bigger fits YOU, great. If not, go back. You can fit a little wider on 4 inches. I like em wide on my 4 inches😁

41 - 48 of 48 Posts