Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
I don't know much about maintenance but will putting a slip-on or aftermarket kinda thing decrease MPG ??
Overall - it probably won't make much difference at all to fuel economy. Here are some things to consider:

1. It might be simply desirable (though costly) to replace the existing exhaust with a slip-on exhaust to reduce weight (up to 10 lbs less in weight), to improve the sound from the pipe, and to improve the looks (many people find the stock exhaust somewhat unsightly).

2. You can also replace your stock lead-acid battery with a lithium iron phosphate battery like one of these to reduce weight another - perhaps 5 lbs for a total of 15 lbs. No need for battery tenders either.

Shorai Batteries - Replacement Batteries for Motorcycles

3. When you free up the exhaust - you probably won't notice much change in performance unless you add fuel. The ECU controlled FI on the CBR250R might do this somewhat automatically. However, many people buy a fuel controller (e.g., Juice Box, PowerCommander, etc) to add fuel. If you add fuel - it stands to reason that you might notice a slight drop in fuel economy. However, some fuel controllers like the ones above - can also take away fuel as well as add it. Many fuel controllers only add fuel though - and for the most part - it is safer to run a little too rich than to run too lean. So depending on how your bike is running across the powerband (rich areas and lean areas) if your fuel controller can address these spots by adding fuel under a certain RPM range and taking away fuel under other RPM ranges - you will probably not notice any identifiable change in fuel economy.

Mike

·
Registered
51 Posts
The ONLY way an exhaust or intake system will increase MPGs is if you have control over your right wrist. I do not. If I were to put on an exhaust and/or intake, I want to hear the sexy noises it makes. Therefore I will run it up into higher RPMs for longer amounts of time. That is what decreases gas mileage. If you can not control yourself it wont help. BUT if you dont turn into that lil school boy with new toy syndrome, it will increase.

How much it will increase is the question...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Lol! I know what you mean about the "school boy with a new toy" thing! I am the exact same way! Although I do like cruising slow enough to make eye contact with the ladies!

·
Registered
51 Posts
That is what red lights are for...

Full tuck to pass by em, then 3 lengths ahead of em let go of the gas an engine brake til side by side. Flirt with the lady passenger and when the male driver guns the gas, leave him settin still... Stupid civics! lol

If you put an exhaust on... I promise your mileage will go down... you will like to hear her scream

·
Registered
928 Posts
Didnt you already drop your bike and have just a learners permit? My point is that when learning to ride, riding is what you should be concentrating on. No matter what you wear, it isnt going to help when you hit that pole, dump it at 80 mph or when that f150 runs you down at a stop light.
Once you start riding for more then 20 minutes at a time I doubt you will be wearing full leathers, if you do more power to you.
Ive been riding for 25 years, have crashed and been hit. I know what road rash feels like.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Dude, chill out... I choose to wear mesh pants and mesh jacket, both with pads for just the peace of mind. Will they stop a miata from eating me? No... Will they protect me at 80 when I high side? Probably just help prevent a little road rash (not all and not broken bones). Do I ride longer than 20 mins? Heck yes and with mesh it is cooler than you think. Have I dropped it after 3 days? Of course! The bike has the road rash to prove it. It doesn't turn like a scooter btw...

Call me a squid, a dummy, whatever... (I perfer "spirited rider"...) I would much rather look like a retard than be that guy doin wheelies and endos on the interstate with shorts and flip flops.

I have been ridin for 2 years and know what road rash feels like... Ever dump a scooter? ROFLMAO! (Yes, I am laughing at myself!) I have... I was wearing blue jeans... Jeans were fine, but my legs were not... and I was doing 20mph... I got ballsy and lowsided in a corner.

Does it make you more of a man cause you choose not to wear pads? Nope
Does it make you more of a man cause I choose to wear em? Nope

It is just a choice. I choose to "appear" safer than you...

·
Registered
928 Posts
Nope its about your mentality not about what you wear. Until you learn how to ride right concentrate on the riding not flirting with girls who are with their boyfriends. I wasnt joking about you getting run off the road.
But I guess its a good thing you didnt go from a scooter to a 600cc super sport.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was looking into a 600rr but insurance woulda cost me $5000/year... Thats not full coverage. lol

I do have common sense when it comes to riding. I know I don't know everything about riding. Nor do I claim to know it all. But I do know when it is appropriate to "play" and when it is just being stupid. I believe riding the scooter helped alot. Instead of learning how to gun it outta the way of people, you learn how to always watch people. Almost wrecked tonight... Homie pulled out in from of me. Because of the (I use this term loosely) "EXPERIENCE" with the scooter I was able to just react instead of freezing up like a complete noob.

As getting run off the road... It happens... It isn't if you drop your bike but when. It isnt if you get road rash but when. It isn't if you get run over but when. It is one of those things you have to accept when riding a motorcycle.

And I do agree with you... While learning to ride... Learn to ride and dont show off for a piece of tail... But I do advise everyone to wear some form of protection while learning. Nothing worse than having a new bike you cant ride because of road rash on your butt...

And by naked (in the previous post)... I ment nothing but whitie tighties not no pads...

·
Registered
928 Posts
I looked at a 600rr also. After doing some research and finding out that theyre bascically a missile with wheels Im glad I didnt get it. I still have my stupid moments where I will ride to the limits of my abilities. The 250 helps to keep me alive.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same here. I am happy I didn't. Horsepower killed the idiot...

Do you think it is possible to custom fab an undertail exhaust for the 250r?

·
Registered
269 Posts
1. the 600rr is an amazing machine. if i could still ride mine on the street i would in a heartbeat

2. the aftermarket exhaust might reduce backpressure which would decrease your fuel economy. but the bikes gets such good mileage anyway it might be negligible

1 - 20 of 20 Posts