Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think? It'll be my first bike (finished day one of MSF today, first time on a bike). People in the class were telling me to start with something bigger, but I think the 250 will be fine for a while. It's probably better that my car is faster anyway lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
the CBR250r is not fast in a straight line. It will keep up with traffic but you will not be excited if that is the reason you are buying this bike.

you have to compromise - "hellafast" and "easy to ride for a beginner" don't go hand in hand.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
What do you guys think? It'll be my first bike (finished day one of MSF today, first time on a bike). People in the class were telling me to start with something bigger, but I think the 250 will be fine for a while. It's probably better that my car is faster anyway lol.
What's your idea of a sports car?

I drive a few cars with one being a turbo Audi TT Quatro. A motorcycle at 60mph feels faster than a car at 60mph. You are exposed to much more and the scenery seems to fly by at a faster rate.

I feel like the bike is pretty quick and it has great low end torque that has pulled me out of a few rough spots.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Straight line speed definitely isn't my thing (not that I have anything against it, but I much prefer the twisties).

I have a 911s now and a cayman s before it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
...A motorcycle at 60mph feels faster than a car at 60mph. You are exposed to much more and the scenery seems to fly by at a faster rate...
What he said...

By the way... what's the fascination with "a bigger bike?"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know what the fascination is, like I said in my op I plan on going with the 250 despite what some say.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It's more fun to ride a small bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Enjoy the 250!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey man, I was in a similar boat. I just finished my safety course last weekend and picked up my CBR this past Monday. I had a lot of people telling me to go bigger than the 250 for my first bike, and that I'd be really disappointed in it's performance, or "lack thereof". I was also a tad worried that it would feel slow compared to my car- a turbo Scion tc [not the fastest thing in the world but she'll definitely get up and go].
Well I still got the bike, and while it's only a week old I absolutely love it. It feels faster than my car, but as TheAOP said above that could be because I'm more exposed when riding. The engine also isn't "broken in" yet and so I've yet to really get on the throttle off the line and determine how much "faster" it really is:)

·
Registered
501 Posts
maybe you should ask. Is my car going to feel slow after riding the CBR. In a car you'd get ticket ( exhibtion of accleration) acclerating as fast as you can on the CBR. Im talking local speed limits

·
Registered
30 Posts
My car is way quickier then my bike......................I like it that way.........bike is for fun and the mpg I get, and it puts less mile on the car!!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would go straight to a 1100cc if you want speed. Have fun at 200 mph. We've got roads that you could do that on, here in Arizona.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you are an accomplished driver and fully understand Ihe physics behind it, you can safely handle a bigger bike. However, you can have more fun with the 250.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Yes, driving a sports car is different than riding a ceebe 250. Different rides, different experience. World's apart really and I guess this all depends on what "experience" you are looking for. Just 'cause you may excell at sports cars may not mean you can immediately jump on a 1000cc bike. Going fast is one thing, the "means" of going fast is another. Imo and my toonies worth:cool: Perhaps go on some demo rides:confused: May help you decide which bike is best for you

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
It's more fun to ride a small bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Enjoy the 250!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This about answers your question.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I would go straight to a 1100cc if you want speed. Have fun at 200 mph. We've got roads that you could do that on, here in Arizona.
Asking a newbie to do that is pure suicide.

He's on his first day of MSF class which indicates he is a newbie.

250 is the ONLY thing you should be riding and SPEED should be the LEAST of the concerns.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Straight line speed definitely isn't my thing (not that I have anything against it, but I much prefer the twisties).

I have a 911s now and a cayman s before it.
Worry about learning how to feather the clutch, work the friction zone, proper balance in regular conditions as well as in 30 mph winds, proper lane adjustment, proper stance, proper shifting instead of going 0-60 in 3 seconds.

I strongly suggest the 250 for a new rider. Anything higher and the only 911's you'll be referencing is emergency services. Not to mention the 250 is affordable, good looking and cheap to maintain! 70 mpg's is pretty sweet too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am 33 and have had a sports car for the past five years. That said I'm pretty cautious and don't really speed (that's what the track is for), but like the acceleration. I'm definitely going with the 250 as I think it'll be plenty for me and a great way to learn.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts