Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wind. Now that the nicer weather is finally starting to arrive i have had some chance to go for longer rides on my CBR. One thing that i am finding a surprise is the wind on the highway.

wind. it has been discussed before but now that i am experiencing it i just want to ask

first off. I am used to hwy riding. I have done many a km long distance on my former Piaggio X9 (450LB - 460cc maxi scooter)
and have even done short in town hops on the hwy on my prior to X9 Derbi 150cc scooter.
We get some crazy wind out here especially when you get out of the city where the mountains funnel and twist the wind around. There are even warning signs in spots regarding the winds.

It is not the buffeting .. i am not being blown all over the hwy. The wind pressure on my chest is not an issue.
what i find disturbing is when in a strong side wind - the CBR really leans into it.. it is very disconcerting.

It feels like the bike tilts over 10-15 º and i am going sideways. Like this past weekend the wind pushed the bike over to the right and i had to slide over on the seat to the left to counter it.

I have read the wind threads and it seems to be normal but like i said it is very disconcerting. Guess it is just something to get used to.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Wind. Now that the nicer weather is finally starting to arrive i have had some chance to go for longer rides on my CBR. One thing that i am finding a surprise is the wind on the highway.

wind. it has been discussed before but now that i am experiencing it i just want to ask

first off. I am used to hwy riding. I have done many a km long distance on my former Piaggio X9 (450LB - 460cc maxi scooter)
and have even done short in town hops on the hwy on my prior to X9 Derbi 150cc scooter.
We get some crazy wind out here especially when you get out of the city where the mountains funnel and twist the wind around. There are even warning signs in spots regarding the winds.

It is not the buffeting .. i am not being blown all over the hwy. The wind pressure on my chest is not an issue.
what i find disturbing is when in a strong side wind - the CBR really leans into it.. it is very disconcerting.

It feels like the bike tilts over 10-15 º and i am going sideways. Like this past weekend the wind pushed the bike over to the right and i had to slide over on the seat to the left to counter it.

I have read the wind threads and it seems to be normal but like i said it is very disconcerting. Guess it is just something to get used to.
It's the way the bike was designed to deal with higher side winds so that you don't get literally blown over. Just let the bike do it's thing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's gusting to 30 mph here today. I have repeatedly noticed this (including today). Experienced riders have posted that they plan for where the wind is coming from and ride in the lane that gives you some room for readjustment.

Since the bike seems to readjust itself anyway I find that I can keep in my 1/3 of my lane fairly easily. But on gusty days it is disconcerting when you don't know when wind is going to hit.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah I got to experience it for the first time today too. It's definitely got a big pucker factor which I'd say is up there with the first time I hit gravel in mid turn like the other day! LOL I've really started to learn though that this bike is a lot more stable and has more grip than I give it credit for. It's just kinda all a new learning experience being a first time rider though. Thank god I was just going nice and easy through the turn with the gravel! It was a blind turn because of a steep bank on the inside and the gravel went all the way across the road so I just kinda rolled off the throttle slowly to a neutral point where it didn't have power or braking and went through it. It shook and slid around a bit (probably felt a LOT worse than it actually was) and kept right on trucking. Someone dragging knees would have been in big trouble on that one though.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
to be clear. it is not that i am being pushed around in my lane. The bike seems to hold the line pretty darn good. Even when a Semi passed then moved in front the buffeting was something fierce. I was being kicked around but the bike stayed pretty straight.

It is the bike leaning into the wind that i find a little unnerving. It feels like i am like i am leaning into a curve but i am going in a straight line.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It is something that you just deal with/get used to. I've ridden entire days with the bike leaned over as described but pointed straight ahead. It sucks, but if it's a constant wind at least it's predictable. Let the bike lean and ride in the side of the lane where the wind is coming from just in case you get blown over you'll still be on the road.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I am guessing i have experienced the same thing as you because I have rode in some very gusty winds many times but i havent really noticed it....never really been a problem for me...riding behind or just starting to pass a big rigs trailer on the interstate is the only time a sudden wind gust has ever gave me pause or concern

·
Registered
501 Posts
We got stretches of roads where there trees then spaces of no trees, side winds really get you on those. But bike handles it good. Head winds are the worse?

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I don't find head or tail winds too bothersome. Side winds that swirl around me with variant velocity however are a pain. :mad:

·
Registered
878 Posts
I find the CBR one of the better bikes I've had in dealing with strong sidewinds. Dealing with headwinds in any 250 isn't pleasant if you're trying to get somewhere in a hurry but a jetstream at your back is great...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have ridden in 30mph winds and experienced this as well. It feels like the tires are being blown out from under you. This tiny bike gets blown all over the road/highway and certain side gusts literally have blown me over to what seems like 10-15 degrees. Its not the least bit enjoyable but its what to be expected riding a smaller, yet still top heavy, sports bike. You do get more comfortable with it over time and learn to trust the bike, but some of the gusts have made me laugh as stress release.

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you think wind is an issue with a CBR250r....... you should try riding in wind with a CBR125r !!! :eek:
Last year on my trip to British Columbia ....I had to ride home (in Alberta)with a incredible side wind from the west. The odd time when riding down the highway and had trees guarding the wind AND then you come out into the open....wow weeee the wind would push you right into the other side of the road. Good thing was, the wind was pushing from left to right...so I guy could ride close to centre line and when the wind would grap you it would push you to the side of the road. And thats being conscious of the wind and trying to compensate for the "push" !!!
After an hour of it I was ready for a break !!!!! (And a strong drink to settle my nerves) LOL (just kidding)
These light bikes can be fun...just have to be aware of how to ride them in the wind. And be careful !!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Steady winds from any direction don't bother me. It's the gusty winds constantly changing directions that annoy me to no end.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Are some of you saying the CBR is hard to manage in strong crosswinds because it's a small bike? I've always found bikes with large side profiles and bikes with luggage, especially up high, and large windscreens, harder to deal with. I've been out in some strong winds with my CBR and I've always been surprised how well it handled them.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
If you think wind is an issue with a CBR250r....... you should try riding in wind with a CBR125r !!! :eek:
Last year on my trip to British Columbia ....I had to ride home (in Alberta)with a incredible side wind from the west. The odd time when riding down the highway and had trees guarding the wind AND then you come out into the open....wow weeee the wind would push you right into the other side of the road. Good thing was, the wind was pushing from left to right...so I guy could ride close to centre line and when the wind would grap you it would push you to the side of the road. And thats being conscious of the wind and trying to compensate for the "push" !!!
After an hour of it I was ready for a break !!!!! (And a strong drink to settle my nerves) LOL (just kidding)
These light bikes can be fun...just have to be aware of how to ride them in the wind. And be careful !!!
Those Alberta winds!! Aargh!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well for me when i had the Piaggio X9 up to 130km/h it was fine. Cross winds were never an issue and even buffeting when behind a big rig was not as bad.

This past weekend i had to get off the hwy a couple of exits early because the cross wind was freeking me out too much. When the bike is leaned over 10-15º like you are rounding a curve but are really going in a straight line on a level road is an odd feeling.
Even had friends who were behind me comment on it. Guess it is something to get used to.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I rode in the wind the other week and since it is my first bike, I freaked out a little. It literally felt as the back wheel was coming out from under me. There was a time when I felt I was going to get blown into the railing. I know that this bike is light, but I'm glad that nothing serious happened.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Are some of you saying the CBR is hard to manage in strong crosswinds because it's a small bike? I've always found bikes with large side profiles and bikes with luggage, especially up high, and large windscreens, harder to deal with. I've been out in some strong winds with my CBR and I've always been surprised how well it handled them.

I think the CBR125r gets blown around so much because of how light the bike is !!! I am around 195 lbs and was packing about 25lbs in gear on my trip, and I believe the bike is around 280 lbs...so really not that heavy. It's pretty easy to get blown around it on really windy days !!! I don't think it's because of the plastic (being a sport bike) causing it to be a sail. Wind seems to all right other wise .....I just hate it on the days when it's really windy from the side !!!
Wind straight on is ok!!! It just slows my little bike down abit !!! I just got to tuck a little harder !!! LOL :)
I need to figure out some "James Bond" grabble-hook idea so I can hook on to faster vehicles when driving in the wind or going up steep hills and then detach when I want !!! :eek: LOL (And no comments on getting a bigger bike, I love my small displacement bikes ! Remember, the 250 is TWICE the bike mine is !! LOL )

1 - 19 of 19 Posts