Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
yesterday at 6pm a lady cut me off and i locked up front brake (NON- abs) and went over handle bars at 50mph. apparently i was unconscious for a few minutes according to bystanders and woke up in the ambulance. got some decent road rash on both arms, and a dislocated left knee with some possible neck injuries. my helmet hit the pavement hard and here in florida helmets are optional but i always wear one anyways and it saved my life last night. bike is most likely totaled. bought her april 20, 2012 with 0 miles on her and she had 20,977 just before crash. :frown2: i can barely walk but i can't wait to get back up on a bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
That's a shame, Tech. You've got to be most thankful you lived to share the story. Good luck!

(I hope this doesn't seem inappropriate, but the bike doesn't look too bad ... all things considered.)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a shame, Tech. You've got to be most thankful you lived to share the story. Good luck!

(I hope this doesn't seem inappropriate, but the bike doesn't look too bad ... all things considered.)

idk if insurance will total it. all of the fairings were separated from the frame, both pegs sheared off and the whole front nose needs to be rebuilt. the actual drivetrain is fine, however she wont start or go in gear (probably the tip over switch)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to read this. How did cops track her down?
there was a good samaritan who was trying to keep me conscious i remember her yelling back "did anyone get the tag number??" and one guy said "yeah it was xxxxxx" and she was on the phone with a dispatcher and read the plate to her. im not sure how the cops tracked her down so quickly, but the cop came and told me in the hospital that the driver was charged with felony hit and run.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Curious what you were wearing other than the helmet as far as clothes/gear? Sounds like your injuries could have been much worse. I can't imagine that your insurance wont consider the bike a write-off. If they do are you going to get abs?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
idk if insurance will total it. all of the fairings were separated from the frame, both pegs sheared off and the whole front nose needs to be rebuilt. the actual drivetrain is fine, however she wont start or go in gear (probably the tip over switch)
Sorry to hear, but grateful you came out of it without worse injuries. It sounds like things could have been MUCH worse in a scenario like that.
For sure your bike is totaled. You're only seeing the obvious damages, but when the insurance adjuster inspects it I guarantee you he will find a lot more things wrong than you expected.
For a bike with such a low MSRP to begin with, it doesn't take much at all to declare it a total loss and it looks from the pics that you're probably already most of the way there before he even starts checking things off his list that you're not now seeing.
I lowsided my old Ninja 250R a couple of years ago. It didn't look even a quarter as bad as your CBR, but the adjuster had it totaled within 2 minutes of arriving to inspect it.
I hope you had decent insurance coverage and can at least put that question out of your mind while you concentrate on taking care of your injuries.
You can always get another bike, but right now your priority should be taking care of yourself.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sorry to hear that man = (
You're lucky it wasn't much worse
It sounds like it was a pretty bad accident
You're alive and you'll be walking again, that's what's important

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Curious what you were wearing other than the helmet as far as clothes/gear? Sounds like your injuries could have been much worse. I can't imagine that your insurance wont consider the bike a write-off. If they do are you going to get abs?
i was coming home from work so i dont typically wear anything but shorts and a tshirt cause it gets real hot here. ive thought about buying her back and rebuilding her, though thats not the most cost-effective option. i know it could take years to settle this especially if i sue for damages, lost work etc. if i do go that route, il just probably end up getting a 650f instead. but i like my bike and she was my baby and i took really good care of her. :frown2:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to hear, but grateful you came out of it without worse injuries. It sounds like things could have been MUCH worse in a scenario like that.
For sure your bike is totaled. You're only seeing the obvious damages, but when the insurance adjuster inspects it I guarantee you he will find a lot more things wrong than you expected.
For a bike with such a low MSRP to begin with, it doesn't take much at all to declare it a total loss and it looks from the pics that you're probably already most of the way there before he even starts checking things off his list that you're not now seeing.
I lowsided my old Ninja 250R a couple of years ago. It didn't look even a quarter as bad as your CBR, but the adjuster had it totaled within 2 minutes of arriving to inspect it.
I hope you had decent insurance coverage and can at least put that question out of your mind while you concentrate on taking care of your injuries.
You can always get another bike, but right now your priority should be taking care of yourself.
thanks man i appreciate it. i will not lie, i did cry when i saw her in the junk yard like this. i took excellent care of her, and was the first vehicle i could afford to buy new and i paid her off in january. i had excellent coverage i think and when i called nationwide to file the claim, they surprised me by saying i had no deductible. when i started the policy in 2012 it was a $500 deductible. all i want to do right now is go riding and forget this ever happened

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
thanks man i appreciate it. i will not lie, i did cry when i saw her in the junk yard like this. i took excellent care of her, and was the first vehicle i could afford to buy new and i paid her off in january. i had excellent coverage i think and when i called nationwide to file the claim, they surprised me by saying i had no deductible. when i started the policy in 2012 it was a $500 deductible. all i want to do right now is go riding and forget this ever happened
Other than what you can take away from it as a learning experience, that's really the best option. Get riding again as soon as possible and just keep moving forward.
I'm sure the salvage laws in Florida are a lot different than up here in Massachusetts, but here they're so convoluted and prohibitive that rebuilding my Ninja 250R simply wasn't an option. It just didn't make sense value-wise in the long run. It would have made some sense if the bike sold new for $10,000 or $15,000, but the initial low cost of bikes like the Ninja 250R and CBR250R and their rapid rate of depreciation makes rebuilding it a losing proposition unless the damage is really minor. Of course if that were the case the insurance company probably wouldn't total it in the first place.
You'd be surprised at all the things that can go completely out of whack on a small inexpensive bike in even a minor accident like I had, everything from the fork to the swingarm and lots of stuff in between had to be replaced with OEM parts to restore it to rideable condition that the insurance company would sign off on. It didn't even make sense to try and keep it as a track-only bike. For what it would have cost I could have bought a brand new 650 and had plenty of dough left over for accessories.
Good for you for having top-of-the-line insurance. That should help mitigate a lot of the negatives and help get you back on 2 wheels sooner. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Yup, nationwide is awesome. They have vanishing deductible (at least in my state) for powersports policies. Didn't even know it until I renewed a couple years ago and I was trying to adjust my policy to lower my rate. Turns out, every year $100 is taken away from your deductible, up to 5 years ($500). So, every year I adjust my deductible. Now I can have it at $500 and save like $40 a year. :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Other than what you can take away from it as a learning experience, that's really the best option. Get riding again as soon as possible and just keep moving forward.
I'm sure the salvage laws in Florida are a lot different than up here in Massachusetts, but here they're so convoluted and prohibitive that rebuilding my Ninja 250R simply wasn't an option. It just didn't make sense value-wise in the long run. It would have made some sense if the bike sold new for $10,000 or $15,000, but the initial low cost of bikes like the Ninja 250R and CBR250R and their rapid rate of depreciation makes rebuilding it a losing proposition unless the damage is really minor. Of course if that were the case the insurance company probably wouldn't total it in the first place.
You'd be surprised at all the things that can go completely out of whack on a small inexpensive bike in even a minor accident like I had, everything from the fork to the swingarm and lots of stuff in between had to be replaced with OEM parts to restore it to rideable condition that the insurance company would sign off on. It didn't even make sense to try and keep it as a track-only bike. For what it would have cost I could have bought a brand new 650 and had plenty of dough left over for accessories.
Good for you for having top-of-the-line insurance. That should help mitigate a lot of the negatives and help get you back on 2 wheels sooner. Good luck!
appreciate it man, took the cash that nationwide gave me and went and bought a new 300r lol

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you actually hit the other car?
no, had cars to left and right and locked front brake and back wheel came off the ground (no ABS) and let go of front brake cause i knew it locked up when i felt back tire coming up and over and i let go to put rear tire back down but had to grab again to keep from hitting them cause i couldn't go left or right. officer doing the report said that there was no evidence i hit them, i was ******************** close cause i remember seeing their trunk and being able to read the plate as they were driving away. im not sure if that means good for me or bad for me but...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i didn't actually make contact with the vehicle, they arrested her for causing an accident and fleeing.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
So they can't charge her for hit and run because she didn't hit you. And any time a vehicle is hit square in the back, it is deamed the fault of the person in the rear for failure to control their vehicle.

This is generally true, unless there is proof that the vehicle in front caused the accident by unsafe or reckless driving/riding. Blame may be assigned to both vehicles or solely to the vehicle who was hit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts