Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

401 - 418 of 418 Posts

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
The only times ive made comments on any forum, is when folks have asked questions from a real owner,
or some assumptions that are totally wrong have been made.

Considering Im a huge small bike fan, have owned/ tracked/ raced four 250's in 4 yrs (MC41,Ninja, R3 and MC22)
Its understandable im on here, Ninjette and The R3 forum.
Ninjette 250 folk generally love this bike, noobs on 300's have a few sour grapes, much like noobs on MC22's who claim 'Fastest lams bike'
The R3 and 390 are years ahead in design and execution and dynamics.

I spent 3 weeks with my bike in bits just getting to know it, went straight out and rode to mere seconds from lap record pace,
No I don't know all about the bike, but 99% of what id read before I bought it I may as well thrown out the window.

If it was a POS i'd have made it better, and said what is wrong regardless of my sponsorship.
Ive bagged the tyres, told ppl how to improve the weight distribution.
ps I HATE the soft seat.. there ya go im bagging it haha.

But when I see people changing shocks, forks, exhausts etc on ANY bike without changing tyres, or rationale and testing as to why they want to waste money.... yeah i'll make them question themselves :)

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Is there any MC forum you're _not_ on talking up the R3?
Does it matter? This thread has over 400 posts thus is evidence of the R3/300 class bikes. This thread is also in the "Other Motorcycles" forum hence, the discussion of the R3. Personally I'm glad to hear other riders feedback, not only because I'm looking at one in my future but also, I'm interested in bikes....period!

I'm unsure why this appears to irritate you?:frown2:

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
@sendler, you'll be proud of me,
gonna give this one 'Daisy gearing' and go UP! she's runnin out of revs far too quickly,
Rev limiter is far too low at 12,250, this bike should go way higher but they've made it safe.
Need a 42, 41, or possibly even a 15T if it will pull it once its set up more.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Do you have enough track to top out?
My poota is too slow to give a link or acces my data atmo, ,but can you google Barbagallo Raceway WA, and tell me how long the straight is (The bigger one, Turn 6 'Basin' exit up steep hill, then down to the final T7.
Basin minimum is 102kph, T7 entry was 186kph,

Its a 2.4km track so that straight cant be longer than 6-700m and 1/3 of it is the steepest hill you'd find in Australian tracks.
Bike still bolted out the basin and changing into 6th at the top of the hill.

Tried the Moto3 style tuck bum on tail as the taper is designed for it. wow did it pick up so much faster,
I'd seen some of the faster juniors in the 85cc/150cc doing it, so I copied them :)

186 is just shy of the 187 top speed which I didn't have the balls to get to the first ride as T7 is min speed 85kph
*That's the corner the cbr failed me with its Anti brakes)

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Now I'm getting super excited for my (hopefully) R3 purchase come spring time. >insert clapping hands<

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yamaha YZF-R250 &amp; R3 (Multiple Threads)

Subscribed to this thread to track Aufitt and LTR's R3 progress / desires.

There's a fast guy who rides an R6 in our national super sports series testing different R3 set ups for Yamaha last week at my local track. He gave the bike as much praise as the new R1 he's also testing.

·
Registered
724 Posts
To my surprise the best part of the R3 is the freeway ride. Utterly composed and the engine is most happy at 6th gear and zooming away.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
On the road its perfect, 187kph is plenty and you wouldn't want to sacrifice acceleration.
9000rpm is its happy smoothest place where it seems most efficient for lowest throttle position.
Thats 156kph so wouldn't want it much higher for road use.

Gets going at 5000, 7000 starts the real rush, 11,000 shift light its a little flat till 12,250
Full system and tune may improve this, (full system needs fitting before the race bodywork) but all my time and money is being thrown into my other 250 race bike so no rush for the r3 build.

R3 is a keeper forever as bought it new, nobody is ever going to lay a spanner on it except me.
A full thread will wait as cant share too many secrets until its on the grid in 2016.
* and my common sense falls on deaf ears anyway, the r3 forum is as baad as this place with facepalms, some want to fit R6 forks, brembo brakes, ohlins shock etc
Whats with that ********************?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
MT-03 released and its beautiful.

*Not the ugly old 660cc single MT-03, not sure what the R3 based one will be called in Au.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Another surprise: the throttle is progressive.

Any owners who can comment on that feature? Is it "slow" to open, or normal to open and "fast" toward WOT?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Another surprise: the throttle is progressive.

Any owners who can comment on that feature? Is it "slow" to open, or normal to open and "fast" toward WOT?

It progressively rolls on faster at higher openings,
I love it, no need for a Q/A throttle as its the best of both worlds.
Can keep the tap slightly open on entry - mid corner.
and clutchless shifts don't need much wrist movement at the other end of the range.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Cool. I've read comments that the progressive throttle is a feature targeted toward beginners, the theory being that a beginner can't handle the massive onrush of power that would occur should they clumsily crack open the throttle too much. Bah!

I think it's a great idea for a small-cc bike that can be expected to operate WOT often and for prolonged periods. The CBR throttle rotates so far to WOT that your wrist ends up cramped at an awkward angle. If I know that I will be close to WOT for a long time (say, on the motorway), I tend to artificially wrap my hand farther around the grip, so that at WOT my wrist is more in line with my forearm.

What's crazy is that I've seen threads on the other forums where people discuss how to get rid of it!

401 - 418 of 418 Posts