Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Toni. Got my shiny black Honda CBR250R about a week or so ago. Tuesday I went and got my motorcycle permit. I signed up for the motorcycle safety course; starts the 18th. I want to try and preactice riding before then, but I don't have anyone to teach me how to ride. It might be easier if my feet touched the ground more when I sit on the bike. I also kinda don't want to attempt to learn on my own since I don't have sliders on my bike yet. I'm still waiting for them to come in. LOL I'm a spaz and dropped the bike already :( Luckily only the handle bar and

Has anyone put a lowering kit on their bike yet? My dealer says that the only place that has the lowering kit for the Honda CBR250R is in Australia, but they haven't been able to get a hold of the people.

I can't wait to start riding. Hopefully I can eventually find people to ride with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, my name is Toni. Got my shiny black Honda CBR250R about a week or so ago. Tuesday I went and got my motorcycle permit. I signed up for the motorcycle safety course; starts the 18th. I want to try and preactice riding before then, but I don't have anyone to teach me how to ride. It might be easier if my feet touched the ground more when I sit on the bike. I also kinda don't want to attempt to learn on my own since I don't have sliders on my bike yet. I'm still waiting for them to come in. LOL I'm a spaz and dropped the bike already :( Luckily only the handle bar and

Has anyone put a lowering kit on their bike yet? My dealer says that the only place that has the lowering kit for the Honda CBR250R is in Australia, but they haven't been able to get a hold of the people.

I can't wait to start riding. Hopefully I can eventually find people to ride with.
Welcome to the fourm, just like you I new to motorcycle too. I just started my rider course and just finish the classroom part and now waiting for this weekend for the riding part.

Hopeful by next Friday my bike will be ready. They said that they are going to build it this monday so it should be ready for me by Friday. The dealer was kind enough to know that I'm a new rider without experience on the road and they are willing to bring the bike home for me.

·
745 Posts
Hi Toni! You have the same bike I do, hope you love it as much as I do mine.

Will your MSF course furnish motorcycles? If so, you might want to wait, although I know it's hard. That way, if you drop it while learning it won't be your bike!

Good luck and welcome to the club! Where are you? (give a region if you want to remain incognito).

Luke

·
Registered
10 Posts
The bike course is a great thing. I just went for mine last weekend and learned so much. They provide the bikes and tell you not to worry if you drop one.

My feet don't completely touch either, but was told lowering the bike wouldn't be good idea - not enough clearance if done and would change suspension or something.

You'll really enjoy the course!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The instructor put me in the course that provides bikes, but said if I could get someone to ride my bike over it would be good so I can learn on my bike. I think he even said they had a lowered bike.

If I can feel confident with being able to catch the bike when I stop I will be good. Last weekend I had a friend stand behind me and the bike when I was trying to get used to it and just try to walk it and that was kinda hard for me. I almost dropped it but luckily they were there to catch the bike. I guess I need to work out otherwise I'm in trouble when I'm on my own. Hopefully the course will teach me some confidence.

I'm in Winchester but plan on riding the bike to work which is in Oceanside/San Clemente area. . . and also ride down to San Diego to visit family. I already have driving routes that allow me to skip going on the freeway. I wanna hold off on that until I at least take the advance bike course.

·
745 Posts
"Riding" the bike at slow speeds is the hardest part. The faster you go, the more gyroscopic effect the wheels have and the steadier the bike becomes.

Good luck with the course! Scratch/dent their bike and reserve the pure pleasure for yours, IMO....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL yeah, your right. I'll use theirs then bring mine for the advance course.

I read from a few people that getting a lowering kit isn't so good. What about getting the forks cut and lowered, the suspension lowered, or the seat carved out by an upholstery shop? I read somewhere else that someone got those done to their bike. What's the downside of getting any of those done?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Probaly wouldve been better off with a Rebel Star 250 or GZ250 where you could actually touch the ground.
You havent ridden it yet but you dropped it? The bike may just not fit you.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Trust me... tough it out and use one of the bikes the classes provide. Aside from now having to worry about your bike getting messed up, learning on another bike will provide good experience that will make riding the CBR seem like a piece of cake.

How tall are you anyway? The CBR is a pretty low bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm 5'2.

LOL yeah I spazzed out. I was sitting on it with new boots I got to see how much more my feet touched and I guess I was worried when the bike moved a bit after putting it on the peg and I think I moved the bike to the right and it fell. If it fell the other way, it would of hit my husband's car, then I definitely would of cried LOL. My friend who was over helping with something was kinda confused too on how I could drop with without moving. I guess I got lucky though cause you can't really see the damage.

LOL I should probably find a tall bicycle and practice my balancing a bit. I haven't been on a bike in a few years. Maybe that's why I'm nervous on the bike. This is what I get for being an impulsive buyer LOL

·
Registered
681 Posts
You could always learn to ride in high heels. In 6" heels you'd be 5' 8"! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could always learn to ride in high heels. In 6" heels you'd be 5' 8"! :D
LOL I actually tried looking for tall boots but the motorcycle stores I went to didnt have many womens boots and they werent tall or my size. I ended up going to boot barn and got guys work boots that added about half and inch or so for both my tip toes to touch the ground at the same time.

Hmm. . . maybe I should go down to Hustler in San Diego. I think they have some tall go-go boots LOL. But then I don't think I would be able to shift gears too well.

I read somewhere doing leg stretches can help a tad bit with adding a tiny bit of height. Wonder if that's true.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I noticed my tool set only has one tool in the baggy. Isn't there supposed to be other tools in there? Do I go to the dealership or contact Honda for a new tool set or should I just go by my own?

·
Registered
681 Posts
LOL I actually tried looking for tall boots but the motorcycle stores I went to didnt have many womens boots and they werent tall or my size. I ended up going to boot barn and got guys work boots that added about half and inch or so for both my tip toes to touch the ground at the same time.

Hmm. . . maybe I should go down to Hustler in San Diego. I think they have some tall go-go boots LOL. But then I don't think I would be able to shift gears too well.

I read somewhere doing leg stretches can help a tad bit with adding a tiny bit of height. Wonder if that's true.
Haha... if you get go-go boots for riding, I must demand photos and/or videos of this. LOL

So, you're actually able to shift with work boots on? I would think that would be fairly difficult too - and far less attractive than go-go boots. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Your little tool bag should only have some type of allen wrench in it and a helmet cable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts