Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my bike tonight! It's late; I should be in bed but I want to get my first impressions out while they're still fresh. 1) This bike is ridiculously easy to ride. 2) This bike is Fun with a capital F 3) Great breaks [ BTW bike is black with abs - abs did not engage tonight ] 4) Love the looks. 5) Engine felt smoother by the end of the ride. 6) Is it legal or for Honda to build a bike that is this much Fun? 7) Will I be able to keep my licence?:confused:: 8) The look on my face by the end of the night:D. I want to say more but I've got to get some sleep. I'll try to post pics when I get some and figure out how.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hi CBlackR,

I just received my bike on Thursday as well. Also in black with ABS.

This will only be a short review as I've only put about 100kms on it. I've been running it through the gears around the city and took it out for a 30km highway run. I am in love again. Wow. I didn't want to get off the bike today, but I had to visit friends and show it off. Everyone thought the bike looked fantastic in real life. Complete consensus there. I actually lent it out to some of my riding friends. They all had great things to say too - especially when price was factored in. One friend who rides a V30 Magna actually said that he would consider one - when he is ready to upgrade from his Magna!! He felt that the bike had everything he would ever want. And he found the prospect of fuel-injection, easy maintenance, high fuel-economy, cheap insurance, and great handling to be major incentives. After his test ride he inquired about the price and was shocked in a good way.

So what's it like to ride? Not sure I can convey anything original here. The ergonomics are great - it just feels right. Overall it feels similar to the CBR125R in many ways, but more substantial, with significantly more power. Not sure how Honda did it - but to me it feels just as light as the CBR125R. Incredible. Really flickable. Very well balanced. In terms of power, I haven't redlined it - but it pulls in a very smooth and linear fashion. Not as much power as my WR250R - but it is so torquey and makes its power in such a quiet and composed manner that it still feels really peppy.

The rear brake seemed really weak though. I am left wondering if it's there just for decoration. You really have to step on it hard to get any kind of braking response. It felt like the braking response I used to obtain with wet brake pads on my 10-speed as a teen. I didn't notice at first because I always use both brakes when slowing down. A friend of mine who rides a KTM 450EXC took it for a spin. He loved it - and couldn't get over how smooth it felt and how easy and precise it was to shift (he rode a GPZ 550 for many years). He was also shocked at the price of the bike - he thought the value was incredible. His only comment (and I hadn't shared my personal feelings about the bike with him at this point yet) was that he noticed the rear brake didn't slow him down at all and thought that he might have just missed the brake pedal when he reached down with his right foot.
There you go.

Out on the highway the bike felt great. The seat feels really comfortable. Then again - this is in comparison to my narrow and hard two by four-like seat on my WR250R. I had my GPS with me and the bike read about 5km/hr faster at 50km/hr, 7 km/hr faster at around 70 km/hr, and 10km/hr faster than the GPS at around 100 km/hr. I cruised at 104 km/hr and the bike sounded like it was idling at that speed - very quiet, incredibly smooth, and composed - it felt really peaceful on the highway - something that I think I will grow to like. I think it will make a good touring bike for me. Once you click into the tall 6th gear - the bike settles into a quiet thrum. Definitely a highway gear. I hate to say it - but to me it felt a lot like the Vespa GTS300 I test rode last year - just really smooth and composed. Perhaps that is why some reviewers have compared it to a scooter. My WR250R sounds much more frenetic at highway speeds - and isn't near as buttery smooth.

I am having second thoughts about the exhaust. I think I might just keep it the way it is. It is so quiet - and in this world of super loud pipes - I feel more like a rebel and anticonformist with such a quiet bike. And I've noticed my rides have been so much more peaceful without the constant aural intrusion of a loud exhaust (like that from my WR250R).

That's all for now. Overall - I am having so much fun on it. It just oozes goodness all-round.

Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
CblackR - I am jealous... looking forward to your pics.

Mike - I have been looking forward to your initial comments after you received yours. That's too bad about the rear brake but I was interested in what you liked about the stock muffler. I also want to ride quiet.

Keep the comments coming! :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Congratulations team black! Glad you finally got your bike Mike. Seems like your 250 might get comparable mileage to the 125 while touring, loaded with your stuff. Good to hear your thoughts, keep them coming as you wish.

I'd like to see a head to head, wr vs cbr, road rally, to the next town over, there and back for a jug of milk, hehehe. (I'd be rooting for the cbr, all the way.) Nice to see your friends checked it out, and they liked it immediately.

Thanks for your posts!:)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Congratulations team black! Glad you finally got your bike Mike. Seems like your 250 might get comparable mileage to the 125 while touring, loaded with your stuff. Good to hear your thoughts, keep them coming as you wish.

I'd like to see a head to head, wr vs cbr, road rally, to the next town over, there and back for a jug of milk, hehehe. (I'd be rooting for the cbr, all the way.) Nice to see your friends checked it out, and they liked it immediately.

Thanks for your posts!:)
You may be right qlred! I went for a 156km run yesterday. Followed a route that I frequently take on my WR250R. Some highway riding, and some rural country riding. When I filled up again afterwards, I only took 5 litres of fuel. This works out to about 3.2 L/100km or about 88 mpg Imp (73 mpg U.S.)!!! That is excellent fuel mileage! The best my WR250R can obtain on the same route is about 70 mpg (58 mpg U.S.). And the route was way more fun on the CBR250R! :)

Mike

·
Registered
619 Posts
>>And the route was way more fun on the CBR250R! :)
Priceless!
The cbr250 up against the best 250 dual sport, and is more fun on the road. I just like the way that sounds. But what exactly were your impressions that made you say that?

·
Registered
529 Posts
>>And the route was way more fun on the CBR250R! :)
Priceless!
The cbr250 up against the best 250 dual sport, and is more fun on the road. I just like the way that sounds. But what exactly were your impressions that made you say that?
First of all - the WR250R is a great dual-sport. But it is hard for dual-sports to be both great streetbikes and great dirtbikes. One issue it that the WR250R is tall (36" seat height) - and while it feels reasonably light for a dual-sport (about 300 lbs wet) it feels heavier in the way it carries its weight (i.e., higher centre of gravity) compared to the CBR250R. It just doesn't handle as sharply on the street as the CBR. The WR250R still handles well, but compared to the CBR250R - not so much. And the WR250R with its abundant suspension travel, tends to pogo somewhat when cornering which unsettles the bike - while in the same environment the CBR just stays planted. Also the seating/bar position of the CBR250R is racier and just feels more enjoyable for faster cornering.

But the WR250R is better in the dirt. :)

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts