Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been on one forum before so please bear with me. Great to be here among riders from everywhere it seems. I'm from New Jersey about 20 mi. due east of NYC. A long time away from riding with an inauspicious beginning when I was attending tech school at Chanute AFB in Rantoul, IL 35 years ago. Started with a Yamaha TX-500 but have some time with a Norton 850 Commando that my roomate at school had purchased at the same time. I have way too many perhaps boring stories from that time period (22 yo.). The bug never left me, though. Just recently, I have commited myself to a purchase of a 2011 Honda CBR250R in Black, non- ABS on order from Sport Honda in Metuchen, NJ. I have word just yesterday that 12 assorted models are due in about a week. The butterflies are starting even though this is not a new experience. I originally went in to look at a 2010 Triumph Bonneville but after sitting on it compared to the CBR, decided the 250 was a much better fit. What a nicely put together machine! I was smitten within seconds. So now it is just a waiting game until I get that call from my salesman. This site has been an asset to me while snooping around and reading all sorts of good stuff located here. I am now official... You all seem to be good people, so thanks for having me! :)

·
745 Posts
Hi Rantoul:

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like my story - a lot of riding years ago followed by a long break. Things have changed - there are a lot more distracted drivers now than there were then and we have the Internet where people can say things that they would never consider saying to your face.

I hope you enjoy your CBR as much as I have enjoyed mine - rode almost 400 miles yesterday, turned an afterrnoon errand into a tour (lol). I would recommend the following:

• The MSF course is a good idea. If you don't need to take it, at least go to the web site, review the on-line info, and take all of the tests.
  • Buy some gear. Members on here differ as to what you need - I believe in full gear, others not. Personal decision, but whater, please at least get a good helmet - the statistics for head injuries are pretty much irrefutable.
  • Find a relatively quiet place to get familar with the bike. I've been to (South) Plainfield, and I don't remember it as a very benign traffic environment. However, I've also been up in the Western part of New Jersey (many years ago) and thought it was pretty nice. Quiet roads would be better than the turnpike.
  • Thoroughly understand your bike. Figure out how it handles, accelerates...., and how quickly you can stop it.
  • Watch for idiots, ride safe, and enjoy your CBR for a long time!
Luke

·
281 Posts
Rantoul ! Welcome to our forum! Have you looked into a rider safety course such as the MSF? It would be well worth your time following your long layoff from riding. Again, welcome aboard...........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Luke and Xplorguy. I have my MSF done in 2005 but you are right in getting a refresher. I don't have a huge ego to keep in check so I will spend quite a lot of time in the dealer lot before I venture down the road and get a refresher from RENJ. Yeah, it seems as though a lot has changed since the seventies and the early eighties. I used to wear only my cheap helmet, field jacket and chuka boots to ride back then and nearly got frostbite most times. IL was so cold esp in the fall, sure it still is. I'm looking at an EXO/400-700 helmet(lighter the better), decent jacket, gloves and boots to start. Later, maybe "slide the road" pants. I just need some good advice on where to go for this stuff via the internet or wherever. I'm not a big guy-5'10" #175 and a small head and brain. Seriously, my jacket size is 38M, but will that translate well to a cycle jacket?

·
745 Posts
I've bought a fair amount of the "Bilt" gear at CycleGear.com (actually at one of their stores that's not too far away). It's not AlpineStars or Tourmaster (two well-thought of brands) quality, but it's comfortable, has the CE-approved armor, and it was cheap. I'll be buying more this fall, need some protection against the cold and wet.

You're not too far from Edison, are you? There's a CycleGear Store there (2052 Lincoln Highway - at least that's what the site sez) where you could see and try on a variety of gear. Motorcycle shops also carry some gear, and there may be other bike retailers in the area. Find gear that meets your requirements and budget.

Then get out and ride. Enjoy your new bike!

Luke

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Luke. That's RT.27 not far from me, I'll check it out. I'm sure the dealer will will get top dollar. Yep, I will ride just as soon as I get that puppy! I'm going to read (not troll) the site, so maybe I will catch you later. BTW, would you think being a Premium member has been worthwhile for you?

·
745 Posts
Actually, I'm not using any of the premium member benefits, at least yet, so the answer would be no from a benefit point-of-view. It's kind of personal thing - I write software for a living and know what a pain in the butt websites are to set up / maintain / police. I like this website, so $1.25/month is a pittance to pay for access. Yes, I know they make their money off advertising and that all the user fees they collect are miniscule, but it's just a principle thing for me. Besides, i will eventually use the storage space for pics to bore y'all* with.

Luke

*y'all - southern for "you all" or "all of you"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your OK Luke...I'm in the semiconductor manufacturing end of the electronics business. I know what you mean if you are talking about protecting intellectual property. At Anadigics, Inc. where I work, I can't even speak to anyone of what I do outside of work. Computer network security is a high especially in a GaAs wafer FAB. So, I will keep in mind the efforts the ones who run this website put in and may switch over. I would be interested to see your ride when you decide to publish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts