Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, sorry for the newbish statement.

Just wanted to make sure I don't wreck my engine....but the manual says the engine break-in length is 300 miles and the first service is at 600 miles.

So....again, just to MAKE SURE I don't kill my new babyblade....I can break 6,000 RPM after 300 miles BEFORE the first service??????

Thanks everyone!

(Taking her out tonight to practice, first ride to work tomorrow morning. Loving every second, even though I'm taking her easy.)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Basically yes, if thats what the manual states.

Lots of threads on it and misinformation.

Just keep easing it up in the revs more and more as time goes on.

Short ride.. cool down.. slightly longer ride... cool down, in the first 100 or so miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah 300 miles is what the dealer told me too. After 300, I started engine braking a little bit more and gradually reving higher. Don't think ive gone over 10k and I'm at 600 miles. Going in for my first service Tom :) after words I would say the engine should be fully broken in. The tires were also supposed to be a bit slick for the first 600 miles too.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Couldn't find anything about breaking in or 6,000 rpm in the Owner's Manual. Have you read it?

Did find this on page 59:

RUNNING-IN
Help assure your motorcycle’s future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you ride during the first 500 km (300 miles).
During this period, avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.

In other words, just ride it, but take it a bit easy initially.

There are plenty of so called experts and conspiracy theorists out there who say Honda is telling you wrong. In the end, your bike, your choice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
RUNNING-IN
Help assure your motorcycle’s future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you ride during the first 500 km (300 miles).
During this period, avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.
That sounds like the standard langauge for a Honda manual.

I remember back in the 70's when the car dealers and old folks would say not to drive over 50 mph in your new car for the first few hundred miles. LOL, yeah right.

·
1,305 Posts
yeah, just ride it.. its a bike.... just don't thrash the living craps out it.

yet

·
Registered
66 Posts
if you baby it. you will make it underpowered. for the first few hundred miles. ride it hard. dont keep it always below 5-6K RPM. every now and then take it up to higher revs.
basically do whatever you want. just dont baby it.

ive done it to mine. as i was told to do so by honda. and my engine's more than lively. i thrash it on a day to day basis. it loves it

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes, agree with all advice not to loaf along or baby it...especially any low rpm (say < 5000 rpm with load)...nasty to a new motor of 250cc.

Except for 'wringing its neck at 9000 or more', ride it like you stole it...as the saying goes.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
if you baby it. you will make it underpowered. for the first few hundred miles. ride it hard. dont keep it always below 5-6K RPM. every now and then take it up to higher revs.
basically do whatever you want. just dont baby it.

ive done it to mine. as i was told to do so by honda. and my engine's more than lively. i thrash it on a day to day basis. it loves it
Not in the first couple days (100 miles)... the warm up and cool down is very important if its a long tem proposition.

All those moving parts must bed in.

all for running it hard once its done 300 miles..
But its up to the owner really.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Follow the user manual.. that's what it's for.

The only time I disagree with Honda is the oil changes. I just don't like the idea of anything over 3000 miles on regular oil. It looks too dirty at 3000, why would I push it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
The only time I disagree with Honda is the oil changes. I just don't like the idea of anything over 3000 miles on regular oil. It looks too dirty at 3000, why would I push it?
I think the smaller the engine, the more frequent it needs to be changed. They work harder, usually used for shorter trips, running warmer than if on the open road etc. I change my 230L at 500 miles, by then its a very dark brown with a nice mixture of clutch material. Compare that to my VFR ot RR, which I try to change around 3000 miles, the oil in the bigger bikes look like new in comparison. Slightly tinted, with little to no clutch material.

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
But at least the cbr250 has a real oil filter; the crf230l just has a piece of screen.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I babied mine for a hundred miles and then just rode it like I wanted to. I have never had any hard starts from stand still but I have run it to red line more than once and I am just now at 500 miles or better. No issues other than fuel mileage probably not being as advertised but most likely that is a function of my riding habits and 220 lbs.

·
Registered
278 Posts
A motorcycle engine is not a generic 'thing' and neither is a proper breakin. Follow the manual's recommendations. In our case there is no RPM ceiling but there are also recommendations against full throttle starts and quick stops. I did wait until 50 miles or so before taking it on the freeway, I knew that I didn't have to, but I did anyway. On my Triumph, they were VERY specific about not exceeding certain RPMs before certain mileages, so I followed their recommendations for that engine.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I babied mine for a hundred miles and then just rode it like I wanted to. I have never had any hard starts from stand still but I have run it to red line more than once and I am just now at 500 miles or better. No issues other than fuel mileage probably not being as advertised but most likely that is a function of my riding habits and 220 lbs.
eh..im 220lbs too....up to 600 miles i averaged 66mpg..even got 56 mpg once, but after my first service my mileage has improved,,,im averaging 77-78 miles per gallon on each and every single tank now...im about 2,100 miles so far

·
Registered
260 Posts
eh..im 220lbs too....up to 600 miles i averaged 66mpg..even got 56 mpg once, but after my first service my mileage has improved,,,im averaging 77-78 miles per gallon on each and every single tank now...im about 2,100 miles so far
Like I said...driving habits have a lot to do with it. It is good to know though that we have quite a bit of similarity in setup. Have you adjusted your rear suspension any? i need to take mine up to number 3 or 4 at least I think.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Like I said...driving habits have a lot to do with it. It is good to know though that we have quite a bit of similarity in setup. Have you adjusted your rear suspension any? i need to take mine up to number 3 or 4 at least I think.
I adjusted mine up to 4...seemed to help some with the front bouncing around..following an suv or minivan at night i was amazed at how much my headlight jumped/shaked on the back of their vehicle....thinkin about tryin 5 sometime too just to see if its even better.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Bike setup it's stiff enough: the only matter pushing me to adjust rear spring at position 3 is that I often carr the passenger.
Considering this, I think that the headlight MUST shake if the road is not so smooth, I think it's good as long as I can use mirrors.
Usually, on very bumpy roads, I stay on the pegs to avoid my ass to be kicked by the seat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts