Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I just bought this 2013 Honda CBR 250 for my road test which is on Thursday, and I am now a little worried this exhaust may too loud. I have a Yoshimura exhaust on there, and no stock option to swap out. If I just go easy on the throttle and take it easy on making it go too loud should I be ok or should I legit be worried I will fail on the exhaust alone? Any insight is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
In many cases I think the answer to your question is "It depends on the person who is doing the inspection."
A few years ago I bought a used new-gen Ninja 250 with a full Two Brothers exhaust. It was so loud that it rattled my neighbor's windows when I'd fire it up in the morning. I was convinced it would probably fail the yearly inspection, but having no other option I took it to my local Kawasaki dealer to (hopefully) get a sticker. The person doing the inspection noted "Wow, that's pretty loud", but passed the bike and issued me a sticker without testing the actual volume with a decibel meter. The next year I started taking it to a local motorcycle parts store that offered inspections and they didn't even raise an eyebrow.
My advice is to just take it in for inspection as is. If it fails that is the time to think about swapping the muffler out for something quieter. It makes no sense to alter the bike just because you think it "might" fail inspection. Most people doing the inspection are riders themselves. They want to give you the "benefit of doubt" to keep you riding and in most cases will do so unless the decibel level is so obnoxious that they have no choice but to fail you. Worry about that if you actually fail the inspection instead of tying yourself in knots before hand about something that may not be the issue you think it is.
(I eventually traded that Ninja for my CBR and swapped out the stock CBR muffler for a Delkevic slip-on. One of the main reasons I chose a Delkevic was because they advertised the slip-on as "fully compliant with UK noise restrictions", but it was still plenty loud.)

·
Registered
86 Posts
In many cases I think the answer to your question is "It depends on the person who is doing the inspection."

My advice is to just take it in for inspection as is. If it fails that is the time to think about swapping the muffler out for something quieter. It makes no sense to alter the bike just because you think it "might" fail inspection. Most people doing the inspection are riders themselves. They want to give you the "benefit of doubt" to keep you riding and in most cases will do so unless the decibel level is so obnoxious that they have no choice but to fail you. Worry about that if you actually fail the inspection instead of tying yourself in knots before hand about something that may not be the issue you think it is.
(I eventually traded that Ninja for my CBR and swapped out the stock CBR muffler for a Delkevic slip-on. One of the main reasons I chose a Delkevic was because they advertised the slip-on as "fully compliant with UK noise restrictions", but it was still plenty loud.)
I agree, take it in for inspection first before doing any alteration.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts