Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I fixed the problem, but I want to repeat what ZBillster wrote many years ago - it's for people who can't get the back wheel in - which was me two hours ago. I thought I would give this more prominence because I didn't find it through the search function I just stumbled across it. The hard shifting, clunky shifting has been reduced by 90% also by packing the sprocket carrier with plastic...
So... for all the people who can't replace rear wheel, or back wheel won't go in, trouble with back wheel. or people trying to reinstall back wheel, back wheel problems here you go:
(all of the following written by ZBillster)
1. Set the brake caliper off to the side, outside the swing arm.

2. First, we're going to install the axle in BACKWARDS. It's easier to line everything up that way so we can set the wheel at the proper height.

3. Put the wheel kinda in place with chain wrapped around sprocket, with the caliper off to the side. Make sure your chain adjustment sliders are in proper forward position.

4. Grunt the wheel up, slide the axle in from the CHAIN side, till it's flush with the wheel hole on the other side. Tap with rubber mallet if necessary.

5. Now position the caliper hole, slide rotor into calipers (make sure the pads are apart and not compressed), and slide the axle in enough to hold that. The caliper will be OFF the swing arm slider, but don't worry about that right now.

6. Slide the axle all the way in, lining up all the holes.

7. Now that it's in POSITION, we want something to hold it here: I put the piece of scrap wood down with the phone book. The phone book will ideally be a bit too thick. Rip out a few pages at a time till it fits under the wheel snugly.

8. Now slide/tap the axle back out. Roll the wheel forward a bit on the phone book till you can position the caliper PROPERLY on the swing arm slider, with the rotor inside the calipers.

9. Now that the wheel is at the proper height, it should be easier to slide the axle back in from the BRAKE side, lining up the holes along the way.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Wow, that is lots of steps! Thanks for summarising ZBillster's procedure! Should make search more productive in future.

I just lay out phonebook/2x4 wood on ground 1st. Then roll wheel onto it and take my time shoving axle in from brake-side just once. Heck, most of time, I just place my foot under wheel and lift it up with my toes. Can raise and lower wheel as necessary to line up holes with axle.

Also if you zip-tie brake-bracket to swingarm before removing axle, it stays put in final position when you remove axle and wheel. Don't need 3rd-hand to position brake while you fiddle with wheel and axle. Just slide axle in enough to position tip in brake-bracket ready to aim into wheel.

Just practice and use whatever technique is easiest for you. I prefer procedure that's fastest with least number of steps. :)

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
746 Posts
Just practice and use whatever technique is easiest for you. I prefer procedure that's fastest with least number of steps. :)
Okay, but as an amateur mechanic to an amateur mechanic(Cortes), I like the “complicated” proposition that helps Cortes to control the process at the expense of extra work time. We amateurs do not count the work time, we do count the successes. Cortes used a method that helped him complete the process correctly and safely. And as an amateur maybe he got to do it one more time? Or maybe he change a motorcycle? Until then, he learns additional techniques like the one you explained. Learning new things, along with improvising original solutions, is part of the fun of the hobby.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey up DnnoYeah, I can see it not being an issue 19 times out of twenty. I've owned a few bikes (10), and I had the thought of packing the sprocket carrier with plastic - figured it would take me 30mins.
For whatever reason the fit on my bike was very very close - I'm gonna guess 0.5mm-1mm

I could't do it! On the surface it is an easy job, but truly I just didn't have the clearance. I had to have the bike straight up and down (which isn't that easy in itself) - and followed Zbillster's direction.
So to all the people who don't have troubles putting back wheel in - I'm happy for you
:)

Tamir: let's not fight, theres only five or six if us on this forum as it is!
peace+ love

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yes, sometimes for whatever reason, alignment of planets, phase-of-moon, parts just don't line up. Good job finding procedure that finally worked! And thanks for sharing it! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts