Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nice day here today so I went out for coffee this morning on one of my bikes, went home, then grabbed the CBR and took off again. I dropped in to a bike shop/store where I worked for a year or so after I retired and low-and-behold they had an electric bike called a Zero. I won't bore everyone with all the details as they're online but the thing was a real hoot with way more power or more proper, torque, than I expected.

Due to the battery pack they are a tall bike, I"m 6'2" and I couldn't flat foot so beware if you're height challenged. Not recommending these bikes in any way but it you want to ride something new give it a whirl, you'll have a smile on your face. These aren't a scooter but rather a bike, they are larger than our CBRs. Anyone else here tried one?

I would put a link to their website but with the latest developments here I better not. It's a nice site.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No shifting:(
No, I always felt like I should be pulling in the clutch or shifting and it's absolutely silent. I thought it handled well but I never got over 60 mph.
I thought it was ugly but I had a Vstrom so who am I to talk. I forgot to ask the price.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
That's a rare opportunity to ride on of those Zero cycles. Too bad my commute is beyond the speed and range of an electric or I would build a DIY conversion on an old Ninja chassis. $6,000 just for parts to get a 100 mile range at 70 mph. The Brammo will be amazing if they ever start really selling them. $14,000 is too expensive though.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I looked into both the Zero and Brammo befor I bought the CBR. Like Sendler said, my commute exceeds thier range. Plus they cost more. I did an operating cost comparison for a five year period and the CBR came out on top. One of them was going to sell a geared version of thier bike. Liked the idea... just did not meet my needs. TX

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
My commute doesn't extend the range, but there are just lots of circumstances where I need to get onto the highway and I don't think the highway range could really suffice. E.g. going to a friends house, and then asking for a plug so I can get a charge before leaving. Doable, but I'd rather not.

Also long touring days would be out. That price tag is too much for a poor college kid:(

·
Registered
426 Posts
Battery tech will have to move much farther than where it is now. Electric bikes would be great for around the city. A bike in the (in my area a LSM or Low Speed Motorcycle)
class of the 50cc scooters (max speed 70kph) would be great as a grocery getter.

But right now price is too high. Range is too low. and Battery longevity just not there yet. I got an electric kit put on my pedal bike in Oct 2010. A LifePO4 battery. supposed to last for at least 2000 charges (5 yrs). Battery was kaput by July 2011.
So no way would i get an electric again until a battery will last as long as a 50cc motor and with a range of atleast 200km at average 60kph. New battery pack costs $600. no way i am paying that each year for an electric.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts